It's a puzzlement

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

It's a puzzlement

Post by earlgo »

Here are the ends of two wires from two electrical cords that were marked on the jacket the same 18-2 600v etc. The full wire one is from a Craftsman shop vacuum and the other is from my "inventory". May have been the older vacuum or not, I can't remember which cord is older. Does anyone have an explanation as to why the two rated cords are so different? The one has significantly more wire and less fiber.
18-2 cord ends
18-2 cord ends
My guess is price, but is there a code for the amount of copper in an 18 ga conductor?
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Re: It's a puzzlement

Post by John Hasler »

For stranded wire AWG specifies the cross-sectional area of the equivalent solid conductor. The stranding can vary. I suspect that if you measured each strand and added up the areas they would be roughly equal. Appliance cords have to comply with UL standards.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Stranded conductors for portable tools will have a large number of fine wires. Stranded conductors that are not needed to move will have a lesser number of larger wires. The total cross section of the wires should be the same. John Hassler is correct. AWG specifies cross section.
spro

Post by spro »

I always thought those fibers were for strain relief. It was a way to lock the cord by the clamp and less pull upon the copper. Many people cut the fibers off because they get in the way of soldering at the connection. I have pulled them to the side, twisted, run around a bolster and clamped it along with the cord clamp.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

The fibers are wound around the copper strands to hold them while the wire is run through the insulation extruder.
I had the pleasure of being associated with a custom wire shop at one time...
Pete
Just tryin'
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

10KPete wrote:I had the pleasure of being associated with a custom wire shop at one time...
Pete
Thanks for the education!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

I wondered about that too. Then I erred by mentioning "strain relief" at that point. Where 3-4 individually insulated wires emerge from the cord sheath, there is often a twine around them. I guess it served the same purpose.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ok, all you whiz kids are right. The two conductors had approximately the same current carrying area.
The full wire conductor had 41 each .006 dia wires for a total of .001159in^2 copper.
The fiber wound conductor had 16 each .010 dia wires for a total of .001257in^2 copper.
Thanks to you gentlemen, I again learned something and can quit for the day. :lol:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.