Electronic Speed Control for WEN 4214

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harrzack

Electronic Speed Control for WEN 4214

Post by Harrzack »

Recently I added a WEN 4214 drill press to my shop, but was VERY disappointed at the mechanical variable speed. While it did work, and nicely built, it was as noisy as a rock crusher and a bit inconvenient to use!

So after much YouTube and forum research, I came up with plan to use a DC motor from a treadmill, and then have the speed controlled by an Arduino. Nothing that hasn't been done before - but it is done now and works nicely and has a couple advantages. Is quite quiet, and when you turn off the DP - the DRO goes out (like it should), and still shows accurate RPM's when running.

I've outlined the various steps (very general) that I took for this project, and have them (with pix) in a PDF which you can download here http://bit.ly/2AggHB2
Attachments
A view of the tricked-out WEN beside the LMS 5500
A view of the tricked-out WEN beside the LMS 5500
Magicniner

Re: Electronic Speed Control for WEN 4214

Post by Magicniner »

Thanks for Sharing!
It's a shame the manufacturer's solution wasn't adequate, my 1982 Rong Fu 400 DVM Mill Drill gives a nice smooth 250rpm to 3000rpm using a variable belt drive system.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

My drill press is the polar opposite. It's a 1955 Solberga geared unit, MT3 spindle, eight speeds from 2500 RPM down to 125 RPM, and a one horsepower, three-phase motor. Operating it is somewhat like driving an old truck: you have two gear shift levers, plus a two motor speeds...and there's no drive belt to slip. Needless to say, it produces a lot of torque at the spindle. If your taper-shank drill gets stuck in the work and and the work is solidly tied down to the table, something is going to get busted, and it isn't going to be the drill press. :D
Solberga Geared Drill Press
Solberga Geared Drill Press
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Ironman1

Post by Ironman1 »

Got the identical drill press with the Nider brand name. It's an NI64
It is a great drill press.
It was 3 phase so I equipped it with a little VFD and I can dial it down even slower when doing a big hole saw job, etc.
Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune.- Jim Rohn

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Ironman1 wrote:Got the identical drill press with the Nider brand name. It's an NI64
It is a great drill press.
It was 3 phase so I equipped it with a little VFD and I can dial it down even slower when doing a big hole saw job, etc.
I've cut four inch holes with a hole saw in mine running at 125 RPM (lowest speed), without any chattering or other untoward behavior. I keep the saw flooded with cutting oil, and try not to breathe too deeply and inhale the smoke. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Ironman1

Post by Ironman1 »

I cut a 4 in 1/4" and a 3.5" in 1" plate( with 2 kerf holes drilled. They are a real nice shop machine.
Most use is for 1 to 1.5" twist drill work though
Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune.- Jim Rohn

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison