TG 100 collets

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

TG 100 collets

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I just bought 24 TG 100 collets and nut off Craigs's list for what I thought was a good price of $130. I'm using a TG 100 chuck and a few common collets on my mill/drill, which is all I have needed, so I do know what they are . But a few questions on them. These go by 1/32s and there are a couple of metric ones. . How would they have been used ? Who started making them and how long have they been around ? Google is only trying to sell me them.

I'm thinking with the nut, I can make a chuck for the threaded nose of my lathe.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
GlennW

Re: TG 100 collets

Post by GlennW »

Downwindtracker2 wrote: How would they have been used ?
They are tool holding collets.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

You should be able to find tool holders that use TG collets for most milling machine tapers; back to ebay! I have made special DA holders using a Morse taper so it can be done. Getting the space between the two tapered sections in the body is essential so all of the collet closes at the same time.
Downwindtracker2

With the cheap end mills I buy, they all have been common sized shanked, like the 9/16" has a 1/2" shank. So I thought they all came that way. I did buy a new TMZ 1/4" collet from KBC ($37.00) so I could mount a #196 button back DI for aligning the vise. My $1.49 indicator holder requires slip-joint pliers to work. chuckle. Each use might be it's last.But even my 1/8" end mill has a 3/8" shank. So I wondered why the bother with the other sizes ?

My first 5 ones that I picked up (hardly used) for my mill/drill were Lyndex, so I think the R-8 to TG100 chuck that came with them might have been as well. Some of these latest purchase collets were Erickson Tool , they are certainly a step up on the Lyndex.

These TG100s are likely over kill for a RF-45. But as my machining skills improve, I'll try to make a 60mm x 8TPI to TG 100 adapter for my lathe. I already have an extra nut.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Taps have odd diameter shanks and I have a few 32 nd size end mills with matching shank sizes. My Quik Switch 200 collet system for my BP has collets by 64ths and they have a .020 grip range.
www.chaski.com
Downwindtracker2

After an evening of search I found some of the answers to my questions. They are a Swedish invention from 30s or 40s . Pennar was the inventor. He was from or they were made in Ekilstuna, Sweden … the Swedish equivalent of Sheffield when it comes to steel tools . There is a Swedish version with a the same 4 degree taper. TG has been suggested as being tremendous grip. One posting had a question about grip, he was inputting 30hp at 14000 rpm. Which is 20 times my 1 1/2hp and almost 10 times my 1500rpm. The replies were it wasn't a problem for them at those levels. WOW I'm now sure it's a huge overkill for my RF-45. John's answer about use answered one question, You can add drills. They are expensive,there was much talk biting the bullet. It not just the cost of the collets rather the number. A TG collet has a 1/64 squeeze, so you are looking a larger set than ER. An ER collet has 1/32 squeeze. KBC cheapest TG 100 30 by 32nds set is $930 . Canadian $

I did find one fellow using them for work holding on a lathe, he was using the TG 150 so he could use his full 1 1/2 bore.

I also came to the conclusion the ER collets are the best answer for the home shop, skip the R-8 and 5C. ER has been suggested as Extended Range.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I don't know if these guys have better prices on the TG 100 collets but they are an alternative source of tools here in the Great White North.
http://www.qct.tools/index.html
Downwindtracker2

Thanks, I've added it to my to my tooling venders list. When I start adding them, it will be the smaller sizes for the lathe.