Bits Spin in Hand Drills

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rick

Re: Bits Spin in Hand Drills

Post by Rick »

I know what its like to wrestle a good quality 1/2" drill motor, and don't really want to experience this 3/4" one. One of my employees was using a 1/2" up on a machine table, it hung when he wasn't balanced and he was then flung off the table and onto the floor. Only his ego was injured.
Spro mentioned the trigger, I had a small drill hang and when it twisted it wedged my finger onto the trigger. Ouch#! That only happened once as from that point on I checked to see where things would end up if the drill motor twisted around.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

grind a very slight flat part way on the drill shank. It WILL hold but u may find yourself breaking drills because of no slip. If u leave half the shank untouched, the drill will still run true when put all the way in a press or mill.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I have a non-variable speed, 1/2" Montgomery Wards drill from around 1961. If that suckered ever jams, you're likely to break an arm!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

Sure they have serious torque. Breaking an arm is a stretch unless twisted off a ladder, railing etc. Let's say the drill grabbed and twisted you off the ladder on a gangway. We fall and within seconds, find we are still unbroken. Two seconds later the drill motor plummets to where your head was.
Rick

Post by Rick »

spro wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:07 am Sure they have serious torque. Breaking an arm is a stretch unless twisted off a ladder, railing etc. Let's say the drill grabbed and twisted you off the ladder on a gangway. We fall and within seconds, find we are still unbroken. Two seconds later the drill motor plummets to where your head was.
We all have those Wile E Coyote moments
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"