drawer slide grease

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: drawer slide grease

Post by BadDog »

I just noticed the HF box in your first post is one of the low wide boxes. I've got one for larger automotive tools that need deeper drawers. I like it a lot of that purpose since it easily rolls outside providing convenient access to the tools, and a fine work surface, all right by the (usually) truck I'm working on. But for tools that work better with shallow drawers, there is a much better version that is a double stack tall narrow box. I have one of those too, and use it for all my "single layer" tool storage. Things like screw drivers, sockets, wrenches, drivers, snap-ring pliers, and the list goes on. Likewise, I can roll it right out where I need it, and when I open the appropriate drawer, I see all those tools neatly aligned so I can just reach in and take the tool I want (and see when I forget and leave one out!). Have you considered that option? Might be better than trying to use a refurbed slider.

HF tall tool box
Sorry, but with the site restrictions, I can not link the image from their site.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I think Grease is a bad idea, its dirty.
Attracts and retains contaminates Transfers to your hands or other objects
Silicone in the shop is bad for painting or soldering jobs...be very careful with it.

Keep it simple, plain old wax works.
Grab a candle stick and use it to lube the slides.

Rich
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BadDog wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:54 pmBut for tools that work better with shallow drawers, there is a much better version that is a double stack tall narrow box. I have one of those too, and use it for all my "single layer" tool storage. Things like screw drivers, sockets, wrenches, drivers, snap-ring pliers, and the list goes on. Likewise, I can roll it right out where I need it, and when I open the appropriate drawer, I see all those tools neatly aligned so I can just reach in and take the tool I want (and see when I forget and leave one out!). Have you considered that option? Might be better than trying to use a refurbed slider.
I have a spreadsheet that, based on the number of drawers and the size of the box, figures out the floor area of the drawers, which for my purposes is more important that cubic inches, as I'm looking to lay things out in single layers.

That box actually has a LOT of floor area, and I could probably sell the Kennedy for enough to get it, but right now, the shop is such a mess that I'll have to look at that later.
BadDog wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:54 pmSorry, but with the site restrictions, I can not link the image from their site.
You just need to know how to outsmart it:

Steve
JonLeary

Post by JonLeary »

Try pledge furniture polish. Spray it on let it dry.