LED Shop Lighting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: LED Shop Lighting

Post by seal killer »

Bill and Pete and All--

I took a closer look at the test tube I bought. Here are some specs, one of which might be useful in comparison to other products; lumens per watt: 91.1.
IMG_7213.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Here is a government (US DOE) website that allows one to select and compare from a database of 71,957 products. I'm playing with it, but don't know what to compare my light with. :(

http://lightingfacts.com/Products

Take a look if you are interested and tell me what you think.

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

If you want to compare your light vs mine on the DOE website, my test light is a . . .

Lithonia model number MNSL L96 2LL MVOLT 40K 80CRI.

The website is . . .

http://lightingfacts.com/Products

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

They have 54 different Hyperikon products on the DOE website, but none of mine. Go figure. Maybe too new, and hasn't been tested yet?

That said....at least the DOE is using 'outside' labs to test. I don't know if you are familiar with the goat-rope with the EPA's Energy Star program a few years ago.
They got investigated by the GAO, after Consumer Reports found that their testing didn't match the nice yellow Energy Star stickers on a lot of appliances. GAO found much wrong with the program, including how things were approved. I still ignore those yellow stickers. I have a pdf of the GAO report, but it's too large to attach.

And speaking of Consumer Reports, I looked not long ago, but they have not tested LED tubes, only regular A19 LED & CFL light bulbs.

I'll have to do some more looking at that DOE site later.

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

And to add Bill,

Looking at the spec on the DOE site, your light seems more in line with others, as far as energy consumption & lumens.
I still don't care for the non-serviceable part. May not be a factor if they last 45,000 hours....

:)
Other Bill
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

IF they last that long!

I'm thinking I'll see if they have a cooler product, something like 5000k or more.

--Other Bill
You are what you write.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

To test your preference for color, Home Depot sells under-counter LED lights in several lengths up to 48"(?) that have a three position switch to select your preferred color.
We installed 18" and 24" versions under our kitchen cabinets and The Cook selected her preference for color.
There's no test like that done in the specific location.
~RN
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

RN--

"We" have seen the setup at HD, but have not played with it, yet. Thank you for reminding "us."

I imagine I will receive instructions to check it out soon from SWMBO. Of course, anything I determine about what looks the best will not be the thing that actually, really looks the best.

And, in fact, it usually isn't. :(

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

You best not argue with the cook!
And we all can't argue with SWMBO!

I'll have to look at Home De' Pot next time I go to the big city. I didn't know they had that set up. A little late now...I bought three flavors to test here.

:)
Other Bill
NP317

Post by NP317 »

We have GE under-cabinet fixtures:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Enbright ... /300049749
They are available for less than the $60 shown here.
~RN
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I just finished re-lamping my workshop (340f²) with LEDs.

I originally had four 2x4 x 4-lamp lay-in fixtures, which I increased to six by adding two 3-lamp fixtures. All ballasts (most dead or dying) were removed and the tube carrier (tombstone) ends were rewired for "By-pass/Direct wire" LED tubes, which run direct from line voltage and bypass the ballasts. I found that all my tombstones were shunted so power to one carrier end was cut and all the wire removed, and the other end was rewired for power from "Line." The first fixture took 25 minutes to rewire and after that could do a fixture in less than 15 minutes.

After testing or viewing several LED installations for light quality I settled on a 15w-4100K-2350Lumen tube (L48T8-18P-G4-BP made by Topstar) and I absolutely could not be more pleased with the results in both quantity and quality of light. The 4000K was a perfect light color for me. A 3000k or less would not have been enough brightness and 6000K was far too white and sterile.

What I found was that all my local electrical/lighting sources, both retail and industrial, only stock retrofit LEDs at the present time . . "plug-n-play" for use WITH ballasts, so I ordered a 25-tube carton (the minimum) of direct-wire from an Atlanta supplier. Total cost for the bulbs and incidentals was about $195, less than 4/10ths of 1¢ per Lumen, and I figure the LEDs will outlive me.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Patio

Post by Patio »

As I understand things.
The color of light is determined by the temperature of the light rated in Kelvins. 3000K is roughly a warm orange color similar to an incandescent lamp. 6500K is about the top end via normal supply chains and is a cold blue color. 5000K is what I usually install in office buildings as it gives a very white light. 4000K is also a nice white light but on the warmer. Light output is measured in lumens on most packages these days. A 60watt bulb is about 800 lumens. And then there is the C.R.I (color rendering index) which will tell you how closely the color of things will look under the light, as compared to sunlight or incandescent light. Incandescent lights have a cri rating of 100 while most LEDs have a cri of 80.
I hope that helps.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!