LED Shop Lighting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: LED Shop Lighting

Post by John Hasler »

curtis cutter wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:51 am I assume the Kwh rates will climb to cover the reduction of Kwh used by LED fixtures. Since the actual cost of the power is negligible, we are primarily paying for the labor and parts maintenance of the grid. I would think unless you cut the lineman's wages, the per Kwh price will have to go up. If I recall correctly, our rates in our county PUD went up about 8% in the past two years to cover delivery costs.

I predict this is just a temporary $ savings and the bills will recover to the old amounts.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/pl ... -2-charts/

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/eme801/node/530
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The electrical rates/costs for the Seattle Center Monorail will hardly be effected by the lower-consuming LED lights at both stations.
Any $$ savings are in lighting hardware and employee's wages.

The monorails themselves operate on 600 VDC, at several hundred Amps! I got to deal with those huge contactors in the electrical room.
Truly intimidating, and required rigid safety protocols so we would not blow ourselves out the door if a failure occurred. They even had a built-in delay for engaging, so we could get out of the fire proof room and shut the door before they made contact! Blood pressure raisers for sure...
RussN
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

A coworker had to startup a new installation that involved 2 600hp motors. Typical installation, switch gear was installed in a container with a side door. The maintenance guy wouldn't allow him into the room while he switched on the main breaker because he didn't have flash protection. It turned out to be a good thing. The main breaker was switched on and parts went flying out the door. Everybody was ok except for their underwear.

On another note, it seems like the more we save on electricity, the more the rates go up!

Jim B
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

600 hp....mere sewing machine motors....

if the switch gear blew up it was because the people that did it had no idea what they were doing

the last place i worked used electric motors up to about 18,000 HP...after that it was gas turbines.

right wrong or otherwise, we only had switch gear problems when it had been installed correctly...in which case we found out in hurry...

the one exception being when a snake found its way across the buss bars....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.