LED Shop Lighting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: LED Shop Lighting

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for posting the .pdf schematics. They answer all my questions.
~RN
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Wow, you guys in the US sure pay less than us on this side of the water.
After reading this thread I went out and bought some LED lights; basically, they cost 1 euro [$1.20] per watt.
With housing; 1 euro per watt.

I haven't wired up any of them yet.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:34 pm Wow, you guys in the US sure pay less than us on this side of the water.
Very true, not only for electricity, but for energy in general.

It has made us fat, lazy, and feeling entitled.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

That's a broad brush, Ed. "IT" factor is the ones who built it.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Well... as luck would have it, Sunday evening I flipped on my HD high efficiency 4' workshop fluorescents and after a few minutes one of them blinked, sizzled, and was dead. The electronic ballast was kaput. I reread the thread and ran over to the HD before they closed and looked at LED retrofits. Unfortunately, they only had 3 types: Fiet, Panasonic, and "toggled". The Fiet was ballast driven, took me 15+min to finally figure out the Panasonic "works with everything" LED tubes require a ballast and can not be direct driven (a fine print note at the bottom of the last page of the online only advertise^H^H^H^H^H err... manual). So that left the toggled brand which was direct driven/no ballast.

As it turns out, the toggled LED lights are non-shunted only. Hot and neutral are separate pins on the same end of the LED bulb, the other end has pins, but no connection. The kit comes with replacement tombstones... but of course those don't even come close to fitting a hanging workshop light. Lots of very careful picking and prying I was able to remove the shunt wire from the old HD workshop light tombstones, but it was nerve racking as one broken tombstone and might as well throw out the whole fixture.

The old bulbs were 32W, F32T8; the new toggled LED bulbs are 16W, 2100 lumen. They seem a little bit brighter than the old, but also have a lot more glare. Not sure if I like them yet.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

choprboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:31 pm The old bulbs were 32W, F32T8; the new toggled LED bulbs are 16W, 2100 lumen. They seem a little bit brighter than the old, but also have a lot more glare. Not sure if I like them yet.
Hmmm. Gives me something to ponder.
I installed blue LED's in the shelves in my stereo room, so I could read titles on albums and CD's. The blue lights appear to emit some UV, as some labels now glow, and the resulting blue light doesn't make things all that easy to read. I'd used blue lights (incandescent) in my bar before (at an old address, where I stored my records in a portion of the bar) and they worked just fine. I'm not all that unhappy with what the results I've achieved, but it sure does make me wonder about the light being emitted by the LED's.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

I'll just go the same road and if the ballast is shot, go LED. I seem to be going somewhat blind and can't blame it on LEDs more than the fluorescences. It is something to have been near-sighted for decades and very good at miniature work without glasses. It went that my glasses from 30 years ago are better for distance and I need magnifiers for tiny things-but that may be age as the eyeballs elongate .
Back to topic: There are certain light combinations now which are really good for seeing, as physician would use to see very deep. These used to be a certain light but now the entire room is lit that way Time will tell but my eyes didn't like seeing it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Harold,
They have a several flavors of bulbs. Light color from soft white (3000K) to super bright white looks like a piee of the sun (6000K). I went with not quite a piece of the sun 5000K.
They also have them with and without frosted covers. I went with the frosted ones. They disperse the light more evenly, especially with a shop light that has no cover or other diffuser.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 am
choprboy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:31 pm The old bulbs were 32W, F32T8; the new toggled LED bulbs are 16W, 2100 lumen. They seem a little bit brighter than the old, but also have a lot more glare. Not sure if I like them yet.
Hmmm. Gives me something to ponder.
I installed blue LED's in the shelves in my stereo room, so I could read titles on albums and CD's. The blue lights appear to emit some UV, as some labels now glow, and the resulting blue light doesn't make things all that easy to read. I'd used blue lights (incandescent) in my bar before (at an old address, where I stored my records in a portion of the bar) and they worked just fine. I'm not all that unhappy with what the results I've achieved, but it sure does make me wonder about the light being emitted by the LED's.

H
White LEDs work simularly to fluorescents. A blue LED excites phosphors that convert the blue light to green and red. Some of the blue is allowed to leak out so that you get all three primaries. A less common method uses a near-ultraviolet LED and three phosphors. The simplest way to make a blue lamp such as you have would be to leave off the phosphors. This would produce a very intense, short wavelength blue that might excite some of the phosphors in those labels. Using an ultraviolet LED and a blue phosphor would give a softer blue but some UV would leak out as with fluorescents.

Blue incandescents work by filtering out everything but blue. Since there is little blue there to begin with the resulting blue i very soft and there is no UV at all.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

neanderman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:44 am
It has made us fat, lazy, and feeling entitled.
True! but I worked hard to get fat, lazy and entitled. :wink:
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
spro

Post by spro »

Right on, Mr. Ron :)
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

I just don't know the answer to this, but if you Google LED lights and eye damage you might get concerned. I ended up replacing the LED light I had at my workbench due to eyestrain. Didn't like CFLs either, so went back to good old fashioned incandescent.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."