LED Shop Lighting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: LED Shop Lighting

Post by SteveHGraham »

Magicniner wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:46 pmThere's got to be some claims coming over Trans-Fat :D
Nothing is more disgusting than margarine, and the general rule is that food prepared with artificial vegetable grease is nowhere near as good as the real thing. Now it looks like real food was better for us all along. They're even telling us to eat chocolate, which is why it's so hard to find a good Swiss milk chocolate bar. They've been replaced with super-bitter dark chocolate. Man, I miss the old Lindt milk chocolate bars with raspberry filling.

I apologize for digressing, but I'm sick of canola oil. It smells like fish. Most people can't detect it, for the same reason that most people can't tell the difference between Budweiser and real beer. I do my best to keep canola out of the house. When you have to change the name of something from "rape" to "canola" in order to make people eat it, something is amiss!

I would love to get in a time machine and go back to McDonald's, back to the days when they dumped 50-pound blocks of beef tallow into their frying machines. Mmmmmmmm
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

SteveHGraham wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:20 amI would love to get in a time machine and go back to McDonald's, back to the days when they dumped 50-pound blocks of beef tallow into their frying machines. Mmmmmmmm
There are still a few Fish & Chip shops in Yorkshire frying the fish and chips (fries to you guys but there's nothing French about Yorkshire Chip 'Ole Chips) in animal fat and they're lovely! Especially with a splash of Hendo's (Henderson's Yorkshire Relish) :D
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

Anybody with LED lighting notice the wagon wheel effect on rotating machinery? I have electronic ballast fluorescent lighting in my shop, but in one bedroom I have a Hubbel LED fixture. In that room you can see the fan blades on the floor fan “wagon wheeling” from the strobe of the LED light. If I had to stare at that on my lathe it would drive me nuts.
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Bentworker wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:05 pmAnybody with LED lighting notice the wagon wheel effect on rotating machinery?
I have fluorescent luminaires with aftermarket LED tubes and straight wired starters over my lathe and mill and don't see any strobing effects at all at any speeds.
spro

Post by spro »

It used to require a variable "strobe light" but these effects are really cool with machining. Lets say the "rastor ?" is timed to a harmonic of the spindle speed. A view of the chip can be seen clearly as it is cut from the stock. The other thing is that the strobe effect, being electronic, would be more stable than the mechanical speed. So the error in finish may be due to a slightly varying speed otherwise undetectable. ..stuff.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The strobe effect from LED lights is usually from the cheaper light assemblies.
They self-rectify at 30 Hz, and don't have phosphors to level the light output spikes
Better lights are on the market now.. And prices continue to drop.
No reverse wagon wheels for me!
~RN
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Just got back from Costco with a box of 2 LED tubes, that the box says just plugs right in the fluorescent fixture. Ya, right.
Well they did.
Feit #1063293 1700 lumens 4100K cool white. $29 for the pair delivery included. (Well, I was coming home anyway.)
Just a FYI kind of thing.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I've read the whole thread. Very informative. (My daughter is a biologist. She has done things to mice that one should not speak of. On the other hand, she tells me that if you are a diseased or sick mouse, science can cure you. I suppose there is good and bad in everything. Still, on balance, I think it would suck to be a mouse.)

My new 40' x 50' garage has no lighting installed, yet. I need good lighting over the three bays and great lighting in the shop. My original thought was can lighting with LED bulbs. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even know LED tube lighting existed.

Do you have recommendations for lighting in the garage and shop?

Thanks.

--Bill
You are what you write.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Bill:
Use LED light tube assemblies in all your garage and shop lighting.

LED lights MUST be good for us: After any time I spend working in my shop, lit by LEDs, I ALWAYS feel refreshed and mentally healed!
'Must be proof...
~RN
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I'm a rookie at this LED thing Bill, but I agree with RN, that tubes would be the way to go.

Make sure they are the non-ballast style, and with the size of your new and improved Garage Ma Hal, I think 8 footers would be in order!
Besides more light, the energy savings are dramatic. Besides the light output, look at the energy draw I measured with mine, before & after!

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

RN and Bill--

The house is 100% LED. The garage will be, as well. I'll research LED tube lights. (I had planned to make the garage and shop can-light LED.)

--Other Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

There's a lot of stuff out there Bill!

I looked at the local electrical supplier....and with the prices they wanted, I should have been able to drive them home. I ended up picking a popular and well rated brand on Amazon. As usual, I raked off the top and bottom ratings, as those are usually "They changed my life", and "They arrived broken".
Performance wise, I am very impressed.
Longevity....time will tell! RN has had his a lot longer than me, and I'm sure others have too!
The 100% LED Garage Ma Hal!

:)
Other Bill.....or am I just Bill....
:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.