LED Shop Lighting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: LED Shop Lighting

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Conrad_R_Hoffman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 pm I just don't know the answer to this, but if you Google LED lights and eye damage you might get concerned. I ended up replacing the LED light I had at my workbench due to eyestrain. Didn't like CFLs either, so went back to good old fashioned incandescent.
From what I have read, the concerns are for looking right at 'em, with computer screens & the like. Could be some concerns I suppose with reflective light, but so far, I find things easier on my eyes, not harder, and I use a flashlight much less often.
The brand I bought, says they produce zero UV & IR radiation. (4' & 8' tubes)

The last box of screw in type, that replaces good ol' incandescents...I have a couple side by side, 60 watt to 60 watt LED equivalent, in a bathroom fixture, and if you don't know, you can't tell them apart. A couple I bought a few years ago, you easily could.
Improvements seem to be coming at a quick rate.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Conrad_R_Hoffman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 pm I just don't know the answer to this, but if you Google LED lights and eye damage you might get concerned. I ended up replacing the LED light I had at my workbench due to eyestrain. Didn't like CFLs either, so went back to good old fashioned incandescent.
There is one academic study out there that purports to show eye damage from LEDs. It studied mice kept surrounded by intensely glowing LED display screens. There are dozens of poorly-written popsci scare articles based on it.

Here is a good discussion of the effects of intense light on the eye.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... -your-eyes
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

John Hasler wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm
There is one academic study out there that purports to show eye damage from LEDs. It studied mice kept surrounded by intensely glowing LED display screens. There are dozens of poorly-written popsci scare articles based on it.

Here is a good discussion of the effects of intense light on the eye.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... -your-eyes
That can be remedied by putting UV glasses on the mice. We wouldn't want mice to go blind now would we. :)
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:20 pm That can be remedied by putting UV glasses on the mice. We wouldn't want mice to go blind now would we. :)
I just snorted iced tea out my nose.... :lol:
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
Mr Ron wrote:We wouldn't want mice to go blind now would we. :)
Only three.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
spro

Post by spro »

L almost OL. ..great poem. I should read it again. .."Cut off their head with a carving knife". Destructive vermin.
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

Mice seek out freshly ground steel, or clean steel of any type, to piss on it and corrode the heck out of it. Almost makes me want to bait traps with small pieces of shiny steel, but I digress. It's hard to know what to believe about the blue light thing. I'd think the amount of blue and UV light your eyes get on any sunny day is orders of magnitude greater than anything you could get from LED lights or computer screens.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

John Hasler wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm There is one academic study out there that purports to show eye damage from LEDs. It studied mice kept surrounded by intensely glowing LED display screens.
Display screens with a refresh frequency?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Magicniner wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 am
John Hasler wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm There is one academic study out there that purports to show eye damage from LEDs. It studied mice kept surrounded by intensely glowing LED display screens.
Display screens with a refresh frequency?
No details in any of the articles and no links to the paper. Many mentions of a particular brand of eye protection filter which the research purportedly demonstrated the effectiveness of, though.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I will probably make someone mad by saying this, but doctors are really bad scientists.

Years ago, I read that a study said parrot owners were very likely to get lung cancer. Then I learned that the doctors who ran the study chose a group of owners which was packed with heavy smokers. Then there is the discredited Kellerman gun control study, which seemed to suggest that gun owners were much more likely to be victims of gun violence than people who didn't own guns. Turned out Kellerman chose homes where there had already been violent crimes. Then there's the cholesterol scare, which drove millions of people away from butter and eggs based on cholesterol's effects on...rabbits.

The blind mice thing is not all that worrisome. Now, if the mice were gun owners who ate omelets with their pet parrots every morning, it would be a different story.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I'ts not the medical researchers who are bad scientists (except for the gun control "studies". Those are *all* propaganda, both the pro ones and the anti ones). It's the newsies that write the stories that you read in the popular press.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have to disagree. Doctors were behind the saturated fat scare, and the parrot thing is just ridiculous. You can't blame journalists for the 50 years we spent eating poisonous margarine and thinking it was a good idea.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.