Compact 5 change gears

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcfx

Re: Compact 5 change gears

Post by jcfx »

Emco manuals can be tough to de-cypher, guess the Austrian to English translator wasn't much of a machinist
the information is very basic.
How have you been using the compact 5 without a quadrant ?
fourjc

Post by fourjc »

About 7 years ago I swapped out the ac motor for a DC drive... At the same time I installed another DC drive from a 12V drill for variable feed.
I made a clutch housing that works perfectly with the belt drive. Some modifications might be required to accommodate the gears with it's quadrant but I would like to keep the DC drive feed for general machining. I am a retired toolmaker and enjoy repairing and modifying tools and equipment
Attachments
SDC11874.JPG
SDC11894.JPG
SDC11896.JPG
SDC11897.JPG
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Very cool !
spro

Post by spro »

Yes it is. Pondering how to keep the variable power feed and the gear quadrant. Since "H" is a spacer, in many cases a smaller gear was used as a spacer. It could be a cog for the belt at some point but a longer belt with rollers would be too flexible for accurate feed. Sorry. Just thinking..
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

You may want to look on eBay for a quadrant rather than 3D print one.
There is one on eBay right now for $ 8.50 BIN far less than it would cost to
3D print and it's OEM, there's another from the same seller but it comes with a few gears and axles for $ 150.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emco-Craftsman ... SwjVVVzPFJ
fourjc

Post by fourjc »

"spro" and "jcfx" thanks for your comments. The belt pulley on the clutch is easily removed, I think it will be a close fit but it's worth a try. I have no reason to cut threads very often, maybe once a year if i'm lucky, this is a summer project.
The quadrant on E bay is great, they don't ship to Canada but as luck happens I am leaving for Florida next week. I will contact them and make the purchase from there. Now that I have the change gears straight in my head I noticed that my gear change chart uses 3 60T gears. There has to be a different combination. I looked at your chart but the "W gear" for 16 threads is 30T, mine is 20T and is integral to the spindle. Bu the way, my lead screw is 16 TPI
spro

Post by spro »

jcfx is the man. 16 TPI was the question. His chart and yours are completely different but it is coming together. Note above ! ++
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

You should take my chart with a grain of salt, my W is the tumbler assembly and that gear can be changed
where your W is fixed at 20 t. The 20 tpi column for the compact 5 does use three 60 t gears but you need to take into
into account the standard gear set that came with the compact 5, I'm assuming that when you bought your compact 5 the quadrant was missing
along with the standard gears. There probably was 60t gears on it.

Since it's such a small lathe, the compact 5 change gears were probably not included with the lathe, they weren't with my V10P and V7
and were offered as a separate accessory.

Another thought came to mind is Emco set the bar for small to medium sized combo lathes ( lathe with vertical milling attachment )
there are a lot of asian copies these days based off Emco's initial designs, it will take the fun out having 3D printed gears
but MicroMark sells accessories including change gears. Maybe worth it to look into.
fourjc

Post by fourjc »

Well, jcfx... I'm in Florida now and ordered the quadrant you mentioned. Expected delivery is Feb.5.
Next requirement will be to find or design the screws and bushings for the gears.
Not sure if you are familiar with the gear's pressure angle, I designed mine with 14.5deg, redesign to 20deg would be easy but I don't know if it would be necessary.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Not familiar at all with the Compact 5's gears at all I would guess that they should be whatever the pressure angle is
for the teeth on the spindle since they have to mesh to it to be driven.
fourjc

Post by fourjc »

Back from Florida.. got my quadrant installed on lathe made the gear holders and printed the keyed bushings for the gears. Also printed one gear for testing, all looks fine so far. Now for the original problem of gear selection. I would like to get this right before I print them. I noticed that the manual mentions that the lead screw is 16TPI, my machine has 10TPI so I believe the gear table on the machine is no good to me. The table in the attached picture is identical to the one on the machine. I tried to find a spreadsheet that would help me select the proper gears to print but can’t find any. Can anyone help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. JCFX I tried using the method in your posting of Jan 16-2018 but I am not sure it’s applicable here.
Attachments
C5 gear table.jpg
IMG_20180420_101304.jpg
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Hi fourjc, glad you bought the quadrant, I'm a little confused since there's been almost a 3 month gap
about the pitch of your leadscrew. You had said in your first post that your lead screw is 16tpi ?

I would measure your lead screw to confirm if it's 10 or 16tpi. Someone correct me but a 10 tpi lead screw would
be a metric based machine, 16 tpi inch based.

Either way the gear table on your compact 5 is correct since both inch and metric threading use the some of the same gears and
additional ones for metric thread cutting, cursory glance at the chart for cutting metric threads you need 34, 50, 72, 36 t gears
as well as 40 t gear which is used in inch threading.