Screw drivers @#!$!!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Screw drivers @#!$!!

Post by SteveHGraham »

My Craftsmans are top quality. Made from the best cheese available in China.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have some old Craftsman screwdrivers, and they are pretty good. Talkin' made in the 70's...maybe late 60's.
I bought another set....around 2000, since the old set was so good. Junk.
All have the same 'WF' code, which is Western Forge. Appears QA went out the door.

On my list of toys, is a new set of Torx screwdrivers. I have a Craftsman set I bought a few years ago, and I'm out of length to grind for repair on a few of 'em. And that's light duty work. It's not a major strain to change inserts.

Think I'll go with the Wiha.....started shopping on Amazon today. I'm not hooked up with a Snap On industrial seller anymore, and they are scary expensive if you are not.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

Don’t forget Cornwell and MAC tools. I have extra long length #2 Phillips screwdrivers from both companies and they are excellent. My aircraft mechanic friend calls them “Excalibur”!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Too many different types now; here in Europe we have pozi-drive that looks so much like philips I have to first find my glasses, then start looking for the right driver bits.
For some jobs I need 6 different screw drivers!
I like torx, but it hasn't caught on. Chipboard screws here are all pozi-drive, machine screws philips, it's a mess.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 pmThink I'll go with the Wiha.....started shopping on Amazon today. I'm not hooked up with a Snap On industrial seller anymore, and they are scary expensive if you are not.
You'll have to get your fix on the street, like the rest of us.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 am
warmstrong1955 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 pmThink I'll go with the Wiha.....started shopping on Amazon today. I'm not hooked up with a Snap On industrial seller anymore, and they are scary expensive if you are not.
You'll have to get your fix on the street, like the rest of us.
Cold Turkey.....I can't afford that habit. I think the local guy who roams around in his fancy Snap-On 6-wheeler truck with the mag wheels is buying a boat.

I ended up buying a Wera set of Torx drivers. The set cost less from MSC than anywhere else I looked, and less than the Wiha's. And.... since I never have tried any Wera tools, and they were highly recommended here....I figured I'd give 'em a try.
I like the handles, they have a nice grip. They are labeled on the ends, which is nice when you have 'em in a stand.
Not much of a test so far. I've rotated 5 inserts in a face mill.
:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
tim9lives

Post by tim9lives »

Mayhew is a USA brand screwdriver. They make some of the Snap On tools. Great stuff. Another brand which I just purchased are FELO wood handle screwdrivers. Wonderful beachwood handles and only 27.00 a set. I purchased 2 sets for myself and one for a gift for my brother.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... rds=Mayhew