Books on machining

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Magicniner

Re: Books on machining

Post by Magicniner »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 pm My question is; How much use can be expected from say a ten's micrometer before it no longer reads as new? Assuming the tool is well cared for, not dropped and moderate use(1 hour/week). This is about the amount of time I use a micrometer or vernier caliper.
I worked for several years in a tube manufacturing factory, as a youngster I was allowed to apply for shutdown jobs in the summer holidays, I worked in the technical department and landed a job in measuring equipment calibration each year.
The only micrometers and calipers which failed were the ones which had obviously been used as C-Clamps, Hammers or Spanners,
I don't think you have anything to worry about ;-)
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I have an old book, "the amateur's lathe".
I learned a lot from it, but it's so old that things like carbide inserts don't get a mention.
Today, lathes that were new when that book was written, or not yet built, are available second hand at prices an amateur can afford.
He's all flat belts and even overhead driving pulleys.
35 years ago, I saw a shop in Bombay that still had such a system working; it was ancient at the time, an anomaly.

Another problem I have is that the english speaking world seems to be all in inches, and I work in metric. Converting is tedious, I much prefer to just get information in the units I use, when I can.

And these days the internet is so valuable for looking up technical things, that I have a computer in the workshop. Press fit calculator for instance, bearing tables, specs for anything, prices, tap drills, etc, etc.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:00 am I suspect if I tested my "beater" mic (yes, I have "beater" mics), I would find they were off.

My "beater" mics are the ones I take with me to flea markets so that I can identify stuff, like morse vs B&S tapers.
Oh, yeah!
I, too, have a "beater mic", an 0-1". It's the tenth reading mic I purchased those many years ago when I got started in the trade (purchased early in 1958). The same mic I used to trust to .000050", reliably, when I worked in precision grinding.

Several years ago I took a close look at the anvil and spindle faces (carbide) and was shocked to see them worn dull. I couldn't live with that condition, although I also had no interest in abandoning the micrometer, so I ordered a new one, exactly like the worn one, in spite of owning, in addition, a Starrett T221XL Hi-Precision Micrometer.

The new mic sits, unused, in my tool box, but I now feel covered for that day when I need a trusted micrometer.

Bottom line---micrometers do wear out. Even when cared for properly.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Speaking of beater mics, I have one which I would call a POS beater. It is made by General tools, a maker of "precision" toys. I think they sold for $9.95, but it gets me into the ballpark and surprisingly is accurate ±.003". I use it mostly for checking wood thickness and gets tossed onto my bench without care, something I would never do with any of my good tools.

Back to my OP of books; the old books will describe in more detail the basics while the newer ones skip over the basics. I guess they assume you already know the basics. That is why I see the value of old books. I frequently visit Google books and read books that were published prior to 1915, as they are in the eminent domain of books and periodicals, so they are free to read. If you are a history buff, these old books are a treasure trove of information. Thank you Google.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi