Books on machining

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Books on machining

Post by Mr Ron »

There are many books on machining and shop practice going back from the 1800's to the present. The newer books usually cost a lot to purchase, but there are many books dating back to around 1915 and earlier that are free to read on Google books. https://books.google.com/books?id=jN0JA ... _mylibrary. This book was written in 1903, but much of what it covers is still valid today. In fact, it is ideal for the amateur machinist who can't spend a lot on fancy tools. There are descriptions that even in today's modern books don't explain as well as in these older books.

While reading the chapter on precision measuring, it brought up a concern I had. Precision measuring tools do wear out after some use and need to be recalibrated if precise measurements need to be valid. My question is; How much use can be expected from say a ten's micrometer before it no longer reads as new? Assuming the tool is well cared for, not dropped and moderate use(1 hour/week). This is about the amount of time I use a micrometer or vernier caliper.

I often visit pawn shops and pick up measuring tools that have been left there by retired machinists. Most of my tools I got this way. They appear to be in good condition, but without checking them against standards, I have no way of knowing if they are still considered serviceable. I guess a set of gage blocks would be my best friend.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveM

Re: Books on machining

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 pmI guess a set of gage blocks would be my best friend.
If you get THOSE at a pawn shop, how would you know that they are accurate?

It might be good to have a calibration shop calibrate a few for you to use for that.

If you use accurate gauge PINS that test a micrometer at various orientations of the spindle, you can find problems you can't with flat gauge blocks, particularly ones that are even 1/10" increments.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I've only read part of the chapter on filing but I'm hooked. That book is great. Here is a link to a pdf:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... pN3fb5FdJR
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

When you are using technology indistinguishable from that of 100 years ago, "modern" is still current.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

SteveM wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 pm
If you get THOSE at a pawn shop, how would you know that they are accurate?
If you visually inspect the surfaces and they are near mirror finish and they wring easily then you know they aren't worn and haven't been "fettled" by an amateur, if you polish a gauge block face at home it can look right but it will nor wring ;-)
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

In the various places I've worked over the decades, I've never seen a micrometer or anything else wear enough to matter, so long as you zero them. No doubt in a high production situation it happens, but I don't think it's something we have to worry about unless the tools came out of a grinding shop. You should have at least a few gage blocks, and I prefer carbide faced mics. Naturally tools should be clean and properly adjusted and lubricated.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

John Hasler wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 pm I've only read part of the chapter on filing but I'm hooked. That book is great. Here is a link to a pdf:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... pN3fb5FdJR
How many people today would know how many types of files, hammers, wrenches, chisels, etc there are. Old books like this remind us that there is more than just a nail file. It is astonishing to me how much someone had to know 100 years ago to be a machinist or other tradesman. These people knew more than any of today's "engineers". In fact, I believe machinists way back then were called engineers.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr Ron writes:
> It is astonishing to me how much someone had to know 100 years ago to be a machinist or other tradesman.

I strongly suspect that most machinists and tradesmen 100 years ago *didn't* know most of that stuff. That's why engineers such as William H. Van Dervoort, M.E., former University of Illinois professor, wrote such books.

> These people knew more than any of today's "engineers".

Would you trust them to design the machine that will keep you alive while your heart is being repaired?

> In fact, I believe machinists way back then were called engineers.

While the meaning of the word "engineer" has evolved over time by 1900 it wasn't too far from what it is now.
spro

Post by spro »

Machinery's Encyclopedia is pretty neat too.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Conrad_R_Hoffman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:00 amIn the various places I've worked over the decades, I've never seen a micrometer or anything else wear enough to matter, so long as you zero them.
I have calibration tools which can tell you if the screw in a mic is worn or if the anvil faces are out of perpendicularity.

All the mics I have tested with them are all good to better than a tenth, but you can see differences between them.

I suspect if I tested my "beater" mic (yes, I have "beater" mics), I would find they were off.

My "beater" mics are the ones I take with me to flea markets so that I can identify stuff, like morse vs B&S tapers.

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

John Hasler wrote:'> These people knew more than any of today's "engineers".'
This statement reminded me of some of the interns I had at the large company. Most of them were juniors in college and some of them had never seen a machine shop. I took them to several outside shops in addition to the in-house shop so the could see what was going on. Some of the shop owners delighted in giving the $5 tour to a youngster.
On the other hand, one of the interns had already built a go-cart from the ground up. Another had worked in her family's HVAC business.
Just goes to show everyone is different.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

earlgo writes:
> John Hasler wrote:'> These people knew more than any of today's "engineers".'

Mr Ron wrote that.