Unknown drill chuck

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Unknown drill chuck

Post by Mr Ron »

If you watch this you tube video, at 8:45 into the video, he is using a drill chuck that he can change drill bits without stopping the machine. Can you tell me what kind of a chuck this is? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq2NtnbViF4
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
prlawiii

Re: Unknown drill chuck

Post by prlawiii »

In the comments on the video, that question is asked and answered. It is a Wahlstrom chuck. They are pretty expensive, but occasionally go for reasonable dollars on eBay. I watched that same video, had the same question, and followed up on it.

Herman
Just starting an Allen Mogul
renewing a Marie Estelle
Harold_V

Re: Unknown drill chuck

Post by Harold_V »

Wahlstrom quck change drill chuck. Very nice accessory, assuming one is doing production work with a single spindle. They are fast and easy to use, and grip very well. They do not operate in reverse, however, so they are limited to right hand rotation. Reversing releases the grip. They are four jaw chucks, not three jaw.

I've used them in both 3/8" and ½" capacities. Of the two, I much prefer the 3/8" chuck, as it's really easy to get a drill in improperly with the ½" size. Of course, if you're using drills (or other shanks) larger than 3/8", you have no other option.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.