External turning with a boring head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

External turning with a boring head

Post by Mr Ron »

With a boring head, one can bore holes of any size. I have seen where one can turn an external diameter using a boring head, but the cutting bits cannot be reversed to cut externally. I would think bits would be available to do external turning, but I can't find anything anywhere. Is there such a thing?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Richard_W

Re: External turning with a boring head

Post by Richard_W »

Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Use a left hand boring bar or reverse your mill!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I searched through the MSC catalog on line, but did not see any left hand bars. I noticed they were listed as "right hand cut", but could not find any listed as "left hand cut".
Richard_W; Those left hand bars are for the cross hole in the head. I want the left hand bars that operate in the vertical position.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

LH available here, and I have some: http://www.mesatool.com/products/boring-bars/

Good tools. I have many from Mesa.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

My boring head has a threaded shank and could not be run in reverse.

I drilled a hole at a convenient angle to intercept the shank thread almost tangentially then tapped the hole, then milled a divot on the shank thread where the set screw would touch. The set screw hold the tread from unscrewing. Now I run the boring head in reverse with the usual RH boring bar. Cheaper than a LH boring bar to be rarely used.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Mr Ron wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:49 pm Richard_W; Those left hand bars are for the cross hole in the head. I want the left hand bars that operate in the vertical position.
Think about it some more. Some times things are hard to visualize. I have used left hand boring bar on the lathes. Both CNC and manual. They will work just fine for turning an O.D. with a boring head in the vertical position. I have done it. Usually on larger parts on an HBM with a boring head.

You are right that they will work fine out the side hole. I have done that to.

Richard W.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

tornitore45 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:12 pm My boring head has a threaded shank and could not be run in reverse.

I drilled a hole at a convenient angle to intercept the shank thread almost tangentially then tapped the hole, then milled a divot on the shank thread where the set screw would touch. The set screw hold the tread from unscrewing. Now I run the boring head in reverse with the usual RH boring bar. Cheaper than a LH boring bar to be rarely used.
A bit of lockite on the threads will solve the problem of not being able to run in reverse. Heating the head can destroy the bond so you can later unscrew it if necessary.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:33 pm LH available here, and I have some: http://www.mesatool.com/products/boring-bars/

Good tools. I have many from Mesa.

Bill
The shortest one is 3" long; too long to be used vertically; that was designed for use in the horizontal cross hole. My mill doesn't reverse and the head is screwed onto the shank.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I could turn the diameter on the lathe, but sometimes you may have a setup on the mill which may require a diameter feature to be incorporated. It is more precise to do all machining operations with one setup. It's like having a 4 axis machining center.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Is 3" too long due to the size of your mill? I have RH bars from 3" to 8", which I have used vertically, for ID's of course.
If you are turning the OD, the machine will need to be turning forward if you use a LH bar.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

RMinMN wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:46 amA bit of lockite on the threads will solve the problem of not being able to run in reverse. Heating the head can destroy the bond so you can later unscrew it if necessary.
Careful, here. After thorough cleaning, using 'red' loctite and allowing full cure, the shank on my boring head came loose running in reverse on what amounted to an interrupted cut while taking off the high spots on the part. It worked fine after it was all round though.