Indicating Carriage travel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Inspector

Re: Indicating Carriage travel

Post by Inspector »

MrWoopee do you remember where it was actually made? China or Russia or a mix? At those prices one could almost by a second for spares.
MrWhoopee

Post by MrWhoopee »

Inspector wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:48 am MrWoopee do you remember where it was actually made? China or Russia or a mix? At those prices one could almost by a second for spares.
China. The options are to ship from China or Russia, but they can't ship to the U.S. from Russia.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Thanks.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

How about making a deflector to keep chips from falling on the dial?
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I lock the carriage and flip the compound slide to 90; it has a graduated wheel.

Now I feel all inadequate.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> I lock the carriage and flip the compound slide to 90; it has a graduated wheel.

I sometimes do that too but remember that 90 degrees isn't *exactly* 90 degrees (unless you have an accurately set detent). When you do that you are turning an unknown taper.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

This is true; I do that to quickly get the desired depth, then switch to carriage travel and cross slide indexation to get required diameter.
Obviously, this is not adequate for high precision, but works for me most of the time.