Old, old machine shop in California, still exists.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jose Rivera

Old, old machine shop in California, still exists.

Post by Jose Rivera »

There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Ken Schroeder

Re: Old, old machine shop in California, still exists.

Post by Ken Schroeder »

They poured the cylinders for my 2-4-4-2 mallet about 35 years ago.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Many years ago my family and I spent an afternoon going around this facility. It was still operating and offering foundry classes for a price. I talked it over with my wife. She was OK with the idea if we could work it into the budget. NO GO. The whole operation in the shop was powered by a Pelton Wheel with water from a lake high enough to provide a good head. As an aside the Baldwin Brass between the wheels logo were cast here. Also those in iron for the V&T No. 18, Dayton and the still under construction replica of V&T No.1, Lion. V&T No 22, Inyo has two of the brass Baldwin logos. When we were there they had an iron copy of he Baldwin one hanging on the wall in the shop. If you visit the Calif. State RR Museum they have one on display upstairs not attached to a loco. If in Carson City, NV you can see the Inyo and a trip up the hill to Virginia City will get you a view of the one on No.18 which is for the Central Pacific Shops in Sacramento.
I wonder what the status of the foundry is. There was a move a few years ago to bring it back on line. That may have died due to our state wide drought.
Cary
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I love the scrap heap. Sometimes I think every machinist should have a giant scrap heap, a good band saw, and a plasma cutter.

I saw one of the Youtube machinists visit a place like this in Georgia. I believe it was Georgia, anyway. As I recall, they had no filing system and thought it was a good idea to accept only cash.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

I enjoyed the tour by all the photos. Some of those machines' castings were made by Knight. The overhead bridge of a planer shows it clearly. Thanks.