Cutting glass scales

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Cutting glass scales

Post by RSG »

With the recent thread regarding Glass or Magnetic scales I was cruising the web on the topic and stumbled on this YT video. Interestingly it appears as though cutting glass scales can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2OAM2Y8Gns
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Magicniner

Re: Cutting glass scales

Post by Magicniner »

It's a piece of glass strip with a scale for the read head, provided you don't damage the portion you want cutting is obviously feasible, just as shortening digital calipers is, the read head will never see the cut, getting it out of it's enclosure, shortening both and then reassembling with read head, I'll just buy them the length I want ;-)
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Where can I buy just the scale?
pete

Post by pete »

I've never read that shortening the glass scales was impossible. There's at least a few threads over on PM about doing it and have been for a long time. However everything I've ever read about malfunctioning glass scales always mentions that anything scratching the glass can make them display incorrectly. Maybe I'm over cautious, but I think I'd be much more careful about washing off any of the diamond and glass dust from cutting it before I'd wipe it clean it with a rag, and I'd protect it with some cloth while clamping it down over what was shown in that video. Even dust on the scale can make them misread. It worked for him but I'd still be a lot more careful. It would be a bad day if you ruined a brand new scale.