Plugging holes in aluminum

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: Plugging holes in aluminum

Post by John Evans »

If the holes need to be threaded weld or threaded plug is the way I would do it. If the holes are not threaded a heavy washer would work just fine under bolt/nut.
www.chaski.com
Bernhart

Post by Bernhart »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:26 pm why don't you just just try Har Vokse and bore the existing holes over size on the correct center distance and stick in a mushroom headed plug with the m8 thread in it

need a drawing?
That's actually a great idea and easy to do. I'm going to keep this in mind. Cheers, Bill.
Last edited by Bernhart on Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
ldsgeek

Post by ldsgeek »

This is the part I'm working on. Moving either of the holes .180 away from the other leaves it too close to the edge of the pad for my comfort, but I can see moving each .090. I'll go with the threaded, peened, loctited plug idea for this go around. Perhaps if I need to repeat the exercise I'll have access to a welder (either human to do it or the machine in my shop).
rear master.jpg
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I Think you are over thinking this ! All force will be in one direction against the mounting bolts ,open the ONE hole up on the unloaded side and call it good. I was thinking your cylinder was a flange mount at 90* to the bore,there maybe some concern opening the holes. You still have not said for sure if these mounting holes are threaded or not. But in any case failure with that style mount and the amount of material to be removed is a non-starter,more risk of fastener failure I would think. Ain't my first roundup as I built my first Hot Rod from ground up in 1961 !
www.chaski.com
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I assume the holes aren't threaded. You have .25" holes on 1.75" centers, giving you a 1.50" inner edge to inner edge distance. You need clearance holes for M8 on 1.93" centers. An M8 needs a .35" clearance hole giving a 1.58" inner edge to inner edge distance on the new holes.

Just open up both holes off-center and don't worry about it. You'll have a little .040" deep divot on the inside of each hole. For neatness fill the divots with JBWeld.