New column for old drill press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

New column for old drill press

Post by Mr Ron »

I have been searching for a replacement table for my 1936 Delta, 14" floor model drill press, but cannot come up with anything. The column is 2-3/4" diameter. The reason why I'm looking to change the table is because it doesn't have an elevating device to raise/lower it. The table is heavy when trying to raise it.
My plan of action, if I cannot locate one is to find a "crankable" table from a different manufacturer, along with a new column and adapt it to fit my old Delta. In place of a new column, I might be able to get a piece of seamless steel tube that might go over the old column. An adapter at the top would be made to accept the DP head. I know some will tell me to buy a new DP, but I am very attached to this Delta vintage machine. It is still in perfect condition and I know it will outlive me.
I would appreciate any and all comments and ideas. I know it is possible, but how much it would cost may terminate the project. I've toyed around with using a counterweight setup to raise/lower the table and maybe that is the best and cheapest solution.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Re: New column for old drill press

Post by Harold_V »

You might consider simply adding a counterweight to the existing table. Well chosen, you could move the table with one hand. Real easy to do, by the way.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

You Tube has a nice selection of videos - just do a quick search for "drill press counterweight." I hadn't thought about until now, but I might just do one for our old Powermatic - it's getting a bit heavy for me. . .
Cheers,

Frank Ford
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You also might consider a "gas spring" similar to the ones that hold auto hatch backs up. They don't take up much room and they are easy to anchor to a machine. McM has a selection of them with different forces. I used one on a fixture where I once worked, and it was a hit with the operator.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

My dad added a counterweight - used a lead or cast iron window weight, as it already had an attachment point for a rope.

Put a pulley up at the top using a clamp around the coulmn, ran the rope up and around and down to the table.

Was able to raise a lower a drill press table with a Palmgren x/y rotary table and vise on it.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

I have an old Walker Turner DP which was originally a bench model. The previous owner had access to a large lathe at some point and made a coupling mating two "tubes" together, making it a floor model. You're right, this stuff gets heavy. In normal use the table isn't too heavy to adjust by hand but with vise and parts.. getting there because there is the head being lowered. The Walker Turner /Delta allows the head to be lowered way down when the belt cover is opened and suspension clamps are loosened. They had a fairly precision base with slots, so taller things could be mounted on the base with the table swung out of the way. Then you get to use a chair or shop stool.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Great! Thanks all. I will look at the you tube videos. The counterweight way is the way to go. I don't want to change a vintage DP.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi