Cylindrical drill bit storage container mystery

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TheGreenMan

Cylindrical drill bit storage container mystery

Post by TheGreenMan »

I have a coworker who has an old drill bit holder he is looking to replace. For the life of me I can not find one like it anywhere. He got it with some bits from some bigger name company way back when but cannot remember who (and it has long ago worn off the holder).

I'll try my best to describe it since I have not been able to take a picture of it.

It is cylindrical, made of plastic (held together by tape and zip ties at this point), and about 4'' tall.
The bit are held individually in compartments that are between the outside and an inside cylinder. The lid is permanently attached and has a hole in it. The lid rotates around. When the hole lines up with a compartment you can just turn the thing upside down and the bit falls out. There is a blank space to keep the hole at when in storage. It will hold, iirc, up to about a 1/4'' bit, maybe a bit bigger.

Here is a terrible sketch (that also scanned terribly) of it from a 3/4 and top view.
holder.jpg
Thanks!
LIALLEGHENY

Re: Cylindrical drill bit storage container mystery

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I have one that was sold by Milwaukee tools. I found it in a bag of tools someone tossed out in the garbage.

Nyle
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

Huot makes a "Bit Buddy" that is a round plastic drill index. But it lacks the feature of the hole in the lid... the lid screws off and you remove/replace the bit and put the cap back on.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Dormer do sets like that.
TheGreenMan

Post by TheGreenMan »

Thanks guys. I have a place to start!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.