How do I use a shaper?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: How do I use a shaper?

Post by Harold_V »

While the color appears to be pink, I've seen other pictures posted by Ron, in which the color appears to be more tan. While it may not usually be a color used on machine tools, It actually looks very good with the pale green he chose to use.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Most ye olde machines in my shop are painted a Rustolium Dunes Sand color with a Rustolium Olive Green or Leather Brown for knobs, levers, and other trim.

If I wanted to be "period correct" real old machines would be all black, and the shaper Battleship Gray.

The colors that appear in this jpeg, is me not spending enough time in Photoshop adjusting the color.

Today, you should NOT believe the colors you see in any photo, nor can you be sure if the whole photo is not computer generated!

Maybe, my whole setup only exists on my Mac?
pete

Post by pete »

For shaper operation there's more than enough on Youtube to fill a month or two. They also seem to have a real love/hate relationship with people. Some think there a complete waste today. Yet the more you know about all they can do and the very little they can't the more useful they are. No they ain't fast, but a well tuned shaper with a properly ground tool for the material can approach surface grinding accuracys and finish. I said approach not match. There's still cnc shops today that use the odd one for specialty jobs that match there parts. For what some do in there shops the need for one might never turn up. All depends on what your doing for how useful one would be. The prices today for the small ones are insane. I thought I over paid maybe a couple of hundred for mine, for today it was a real good price. In fact there still making and selling new industrial sized ones today. Place in the UK was advertising 24"? 36"? ones for sale. No idea if they still are but there's a few YT videos showing new ones and what options they have.