Threading inserts

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Threading inserts

Post by SteveM »

I see different types of inserts for threading - some are laydown type with three points sticking out and others look like tnmg inserts turned on their side with a 60 degree angle cut on what used to be the vertical face.

There are also replaceable HSS inserts, such as thinbit (which I have some of).

Of course, there is always the hand-sharpened HSS tool bit.

Someone told me that the one where the triangle is on its side is obsolete and thought that the laydown inserts were state-of-the-art.

What are the differences pro/con of the different types?

Steve
choprboy

Re: Threading inserts

Post by choprboy »

I suppose the laydown type are "state-of-the-art" as they profile both the bottom and top of the thread simultaneously. But, unfortunately, that also means they are many part numbers, each specific to certain thread pitches. A single V type (HSS, triangular, triangle-on-its-side) can do a larger range of threads with the same tool. At least, that's what I understand on it...
BadDog

Re: Threading inserts

Post by BadDog »

Depends on what you want. Full profile fast and easy, and you don't mind an insert for every pitch, lay down is they way to go. General purpose with fewer inserts required, something more along the line of the TopNotch or Manchester (and many others, usually double ended bars) would be preferred. That latter is my choice, and I love my TopNotch tooling. I've got them ranging from #2 (mostly boring bars) to #3 in size, and with only a few inserts each, I can turn any normal thread pitch I desire, and it's astonishing how long they last. Anything else I need, I'll use a ground HSS blank. But again, you don't get full profile unless you are very good at grinding (with a comparator or the like), or more likely using a fancy tool grinder...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper