Sensitive Drilling Attachment

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gjbickfo

Sensitive Drilling Attachment

Post by gjbickfo »

I am looking for lever actuated sensitive drilling attachment to use in a mill-drill. When drilling out broken bolts with a left hand drill bit, the bit usually snaps as soon as the bolt begins to back out.
I already have one of the small sensitive drill chucks with the finger disk actuator, but it will only hold up to a 1/8" bit. I'd like to find something in the 1/4 - 5/16 range, with a non geared lever. Obviously, it would have to be of short overall length to allow for the limited Z travel of a bench top mill-drill. Preferably with a 1/2" straight arbor.
An internet search has turned up nothing. Thanks in advance.
SteveM

Re: Sensitive Drilling Attachment

Post by SteveM »

Not sure what you are looking for exists.

You might just get yourself a small drill press. Always good to have a drill press (I have three).

Steve
gjbickfo

Post by gjbickfo »

Thanks Steve. I have a drill press. It, like the mill-drill lever feeds the quill with a rack and pinion gear which resists the quill rising when the screw begins to back out, breaking the bit.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The quill, on my Maxmill (Bridgeport clone) uses a rack and pinion setup, on the hand wheel of the spindle, for manual operation, but the handle is spring loaded for a short distance. This is what allows one to feel the drill. It can give you just enough time to react to the bolt coming up out of the hole. You might be able to make something like that, and attach it to your mill/drill. Just a thought
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I have a bad case of "Sausage Fingers" but down to 0.5mm/20Thou have not needed a sensitive drilling attachment for lathe, mill or pillar drill.
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

How about a knob style?
Sorry about the middle of the night, insomnia fueled pictures.
https://imgur.com/a/3LGBuW8
Rotate the knob and get feed.
Im guressing a jacobs #0