Machinist Tool Identification

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Shell

Re: Machinist Tool Identification

Post by Shell »

John Evans wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm Those 4" items in wood boxes may be vernier or dial calipers .Very expensive new if name brand like B&S or Starrett etc. But, for excellent used 10-20% of new . The machinist trade has shrunk big time in the last 20 years or so ,so that has hurt value of used tools. Many so called machinist's nowadays are nothing more that a guy that pushes a green button.
I looked these over and most of the new ones are starrett, b&s and mitutoyo, there are some others, I also saw the vernier name one one I took a closer photo of some, plus some of the strange looking things that I couldn't imagine what they'd be for. I'll post them. The sites I found for purchasing some of these things didn't have pricing just wanted me to contact salesman..
Attachments
20180420_121024-1.jpg
20180420_135705.jpg
20180420_141119.jpg
20180420_135651.jpg
20180420_141736.jpg
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

OK, so what is this?? (circled)
20180420_135651.jpg
20180420_135651.jpg (32.65 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
I have an old German tool maker that visits every year, and yesterday was the day, and he brought me one mixed in with a bunch of other stuff.

I didn't go through the entire box until after he had left, or I would have asked him.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I do not know what that first item is, and am intrigued by the square dial gauge looking item in the third image. Some nice mics that I could not compare with.

The piece above and right of what Glenn has circled is part of a planar gauge set, with the 3 cylinders screwed into the slide block... look for a larger triangle piece for it to mate with.

(I did not see all these items in the first round of pictures posted - my eyes must be failing...)
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Ah !! Now we are getting into things that have value!!! First picture I "think" those may be used in drafting ,maybe ? picture 2 &3 various mics-dial indicators-dial calipers-spring joint caliper . Picture 5 those look to be chasers for die heads and there are many different sizes and styles of those . But remember any rust or corrosion on these tools kills values ,especially on things with cutting edges. As I said now we are seeing items with more value but, from 10 odd years of buying lots like this don't expect to get rich. In most cases 25% of new for as near new is about as good as you will get. In the first picture what does the labels in the lid say?
www.chaski.com
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

A thought occurred to me as I was cleaning out gutters. Is there a trade school near you, or a high school with a shop teacher, or a retired machinist? Any one of those may have or be a person familiar with your equipment and may be talked into visiting and sharing his knowledge for a cup of lemonaide. You'd be well served to find someone to help you before you start to sell off things.
A catalog from Starrett or MSC or Travers Tool would certainly help, also.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Now that I had a chance to look at it...

http://www.findmytool.co.uk/stanley-mar ... review.php
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Could the heavy metal slabs be cast iron surface plates? The vocational school I went to for my aircraft mechanic training had one.

Pete
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

That first item in the wood case looks like it might be a pantograph, a close up picture of the
labels in the lid would confirm.
In your previous pictures the diamond shaped items in the multi packs are carbide inserts for indexable tools.
That's quite a haul of tools !
Shell

Post by Shell »

ctwo wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 pm I do not know what that first item is, and am intrigued by the square dial gauge looking item in the third image. Some nice mics that I could not compare with.

The piece above and right of what Glenn has circled is part of a planar gauge set, with the 3 cylinders screwed into the slide block... look for a larger triangle piece for it to mate with.

(I did not see all these items in the first round of pictures posted - my eyes must be failing...)
Your eyes are good they weren't in that first round ;0) There IS a larger triangle with the same pattern on the metal as this I will put them together, thanks for that! I can take a close up of the thing you referred to, I'm glad to know that my confusion is just mostly that this stuff is different or some not common. Because I was beginning to think I was going crazy lol
Shell

Post by Shell »

jcfx wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:11 pm That first item in the wood case looks like it might be a pantograph, a close up picture of the
labels in the lid would confirm.
In your previous pictures the diamond shaped items in the multi packs are carbide inserts for indexable tools.
That's quite a haul of tools !
That is exactly what it says Pantograph. So that means it is a drafting tool? There is still much more.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

yes it's drafting tool, used to scale drawings -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph
Shell

Post by Shell »

John Evans wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 pm Ah !! Now we are getting into things that have value!!! First picture I "think" those may be used in drafting ,maybe ? picture 2 &3 various mics-dial indicators-dial calipers-spring joint caliper . Picture 5 those look to be chasers for die heads and there are many different sizes and styles of those . But remember any rust or corrosion on these tools kills values ,especially on things with cutting edges. As I said now we are seeing items with more value but, from 10 odd years of buying lots like this don't expect to get rich. In most cases 25% of new for as near new is about as good as you will get. In the first picture what does the labels in the lid say?
I'll take your word for it, I am not trying to get rich for sure, but I would like to see them go somewhere that they will be used, here they will just rot. I hate to see that happen. Do you think it would work to list on eBay at a low price and just let them go that way? On an auction? Not sure how the audience is on this type of stuff, or if possibly it would be better in lots of similar type items? Should these things stand alone? The things like (drill bits they look like to me) the bits that are still in the orig packaging with info on them that I can find, seem very expensive to me. I guess they are for different things but I am not trying to get that from them just need to take care of some of his expenses so top dollar is far out of my sights! Man if they were only handbags! :D