Ko lee surface grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Ko lee surface grinder

Post by Harold_V »

Fathertime wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:15 am I have Been powering my equipment with vfd.
Good choice!
Be careful that you don't exceed spindle speed. Grinding wheels are generally marked with their acceptable rotational speed. If you run a wheel faster than its rating you risk an explosion, which would ruin your day.

There's a benefit in using a VFD, although you do risk having the above scenario. Grinding wheels behave softer as they diminish in diameter. Their performance can be re-established by running the wheel faster, so small wheels can still be used, but with care. Rule of thumb for vitrified grinding wheels is to not exceed 6,000 sfpm.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Do you have a pallet jack?

For a while, I built several heavy "low boy" bases for some of my machines. But I couldn't or didn't want to put machines like my mill, lathe, and surface grinder on portable bases. Lately I've been building setups that will allow my pallet jack under the heavy item so that I can eliminate a lot of pricy caster bases, bases are easier/faster to build, and things are rock solid setting there, plus not flat spotting casters. Toolboxes that need frequent movement, or in tight spaces keep casters, everything else uses the pallet jack. Now I can easily move my big drill presses, or full size mills, or surface grinder, at will, all without needing a bunch of bases. And the pallet jack has many other uses. If I'm going to dedicate room to storing a pallet jack, I might as well make use of it.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

^^
That's (pallet jack) what I have done with an couple of surface grinders as well as a few other things that don't get used very often.

It has two pluses for me, first being the ability to store them out of the way, and second being that I am 6'' 5" tall and the extra height is nice!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

On that same topic, I recently found a wide fork pallet jack in good condition used for cheap. VERY cheap, seems nobody wants an odd width pallet jack. But I've seen one modified to be wider used to move machines used by an amateure rigger who used to work around the area. I then used two pieces of heavy angle iron to provide "L" bridges between the forks. So now, anything that fits between the forks that has (or can be given) at least 3/8" clearance front and rear, I can easily scoop it up and move it without even having a base. At most just a set of adjustable legs. My Robland x-31 came to me with their "mobility" package, but that consists of nothing more than an over priced set of 3 plastic 4" (I think?) wheels, one with a handle and pin for steering/pulling. But that's not adequate, particularly if you have largish expansion joints like I do. You either have to hit it hard enough to risk breaking the wheels, or more gently and risk getting locked in place by the groove. Last time I used it I had to get a 5' pry bar to walk it out. Anyway, I'm going to ditch (ebay?) the over priced mobility kit and replace it with some feet that give it enough height for my bridge pieces to fit under. Very soon I'll be able to move any machine in my shop (other than the lathe at 4500 awkward pounds) with minimal fuss. And it's a perfect size that it will store "in place" with the Robland to keep it out of my way.

That said, I'm only 6 even, but even I wonder who decided on the standard height for surface grinders. Target demographic was either the residents of Oz, or they expected folks to frequently work on 1-2' tall work pieces (or whatever any given spindle max might be). The hand wheels are what seems to me about 4" lower than comfortable operation. So it will likely get a base to both lift it up, and allow the normal pallet jack to easily move it. For now, I've got a scrap yard stool that lowers my butt about 6" over standing, and that works well enough.

But in general, a pallet jack is a handy thing to have, particularly if you like me work alone much of the time. Just a few weeks past I pulled a complete diesel engine, transmission, and transfer case assembly out in one piece. With a few bits of scrap 2x4 and the jack raised near it's max, it formed a perfect portable carriage to get the assembly where I wanted it for pressure washing, into the sun to dry, and then into my work bay for disassembly and modifications pending.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper