Ko lee surface grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Fathertime

Ko lee surface grinder

Post by Fathertime »

Hi all sorry for put this here but I can’t find stuff on Surface grinders.
I just picked this grinder up but the tag is missing can any one tell the model?
Attachments
FF16A580-126E-4C6A-AA17-96B69189EA49.jpeg
6ABFFAAC-2174-40B0-81A6-04C71C66F1B2.jpeg
neanderman

Re: Ko lee surface grinder

Post by neanderman »

Contact LeBlond. They sell the parts and can probably help you.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Fathertime

Post by Fathertime »

Ya that’s the problem and why iam asking
There is no id tag nuthing to give them to go off of I have looked at a lot of photos just can’t nail it down.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

From what you show, it looks like an S714 with reversed handwheels.

If you have never used a surface grinder before you'll probably be OK with that one.

I tried one once and never could get used to using my right hand to operate the table travers.

https://www.machinio.com/listings/14610 ... thlehem-pa
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Not even a serial number?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Fathertime

Post by Fathertime »

Where would I find it ?
the only number I have found so far is the one on the hand wheel it’s covered in oil so I’m cleaning it up now looking for anything but no luck.
Fathertime

Post by Fathertime »

It look like the s714 but In revers
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

My buddy has a KOLee model 800 and the model no and serial number are on a tag on the front of the machine.
KOLee Model 800
KOLee Model 800
. This is not much help but the info should be somewhere. He also said there is a website somewhere with the old KOLee catalog. You might try vintagemachinery.com
KOLee was made in Aberdeen SD.
B800_LUBE_INST.pdf
800 lube instr
(108.19 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
KOLee_B800_PartsList.pdf
800 parts list
(491.67 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
This is all I have.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

An S714 is an S714 regardless of it being right or left handed. It uses the same parts in a different orientation and will be in the same parts list.

The bottom line is that I doubt you will be buying many parts for it once you discover the cost of them.

I was given an old B&S surface grinder and found the rack and drive gear were worn and it was very annoying when running the table. I called and a new rack and gear were eight hundred and some dollars, and that was nearly twenty years ago. I dug out the Boston Gear catalog and ordered a rack and gear for about fifty dollars and spent about an hour machining them to fit.

Figure out what you need and just make it.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Fathertime

Post by Fathertime »

Thanks for the good info!
It runs good so far I just want to know what model it was so I could start picking up parts from other Machines so I can have backup parts.
The tag is missing it was on the back left but not any more.
Let me run somthing up the flag pole I was thinking of making a low profile cart for it to be on that way I can move it.
What do you all think?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That may work to some degree, but I fully expect you'll get compromised results from the machine. Grinders are subject to surrounding conditions, so they should have the best possible place to live---no vibrations transferred via the floor, leveled, and kept clean and oiled. Putting it on any type of mobility will compromise how it sees the world. Not saying it won't work, but I wouldn't do it if it was mine.

You didn't make mention how you're going to power this machine, but don't change the motor. Single phase motors won't provide the smoothness of operation provided by three phase, nor is the typical motor precision balanced, unlike motors made for grinding machines. If you don't provide three phase, you're most likely to see a pattern in the grind that is not appealing. Surface grinders are looked upon as precision machines and should be treated as such.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fathertime

Post by Fathertime »

I have Been powering my equipment with vfd.
Good point on the stand I could see how you can get movement as you move the table and work back-and-forth.
I will just put it on the ground.