restoring telescoping gauges

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

restoring telescoping gauges

Post by whateg0 »

I bought a cheap set of snap gauges when I bought my first lathe. Then awhile back I found an International Tool Co. 3/4" snap gauge that I really like and is still my go to for that range. Since then I also bought a Lufkin set and somewhere along the way I bought a Starrett 3-1/2" 229. I just bought a set of General snap gauges and aside from them needing to be cleaned of what seems to be thickened oil, they are in great shape.

Anyway, of all of them, I like the imports the least. But the second worst is the Starrett. But it's not the tool's fault. It's worn. The groove where the pin presses is worn and is no longer smooth. Is there a way to resurface that area? Well, that's not a good question. Is there a reasonable way for me to resurface that area? As it is, I guess I don't have much to lose. I should have taken a picture while in the garage tonight, but I forgot.

Dave
Harold_V

Re: restoring snap gauges

Post by Harold_V »

Snap gauge?
Snap gauges are go/nogo gauges, and do not have the feature you described. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_gage

I suspect that what you're discussing is telescoping gauges. Is That correct?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

You are absolutely correct, Harold! Thank you for the correction. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dave
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This topic reminds me of a long time ago when I was 18 or so and using the then new ATLAS to make something or other. My dad had just bought a set of Starrett Telescoping gages and I was using them. I inadvertently unscrewed the handle too far and the gage 'snapped' apart dumping the parts and spring into the chip tray. As I recall it took quite a bit of time to sort through the curly chips to find the spring. To this day when I use those same gages, I remember NOT to loosen the handle too far.
I might warn you to be careful as hunting for a spring can ruin your concentration.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
whateg0

Re: restoring telescoping gauges

Post by whateg0 »

That hasn't happened to me with these yet, though I did completely disassemble the Lufkins to get the gunk out of them. It improved their functionality. These Generals need the same treatment. The reason for buying this set is that I like the single moving arm instead of having both arms move. And, I have lost small parts in the chip tray when I failed to catch them after parting them off. That usually results in me just making another.

Dave
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have a set of the Starrett telescoping gauges and I have the same problem with the spring and plunger on the smallest one. If I'm not careful, it will come out unless I hold them in with my fingers. It seems there is something wrong with it.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Had the same problem with Starrett's years ago. FIL tried Them and said the bottom of the groove and end of the plunger were too rough and needed polished. He did and They worked well. Then He sold Me His set of Lufkins that He used for many years and He said They felt better. He is right and They are what I have also used for about another 30 years. Leatherette pouch don't know how old, no signs of wear.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

mcostello wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 pm Had the same problem with Starrett's years ago. FIL tried Them and said the bottom of the groove and end of the plunger were too rough and needed polished. He did and They worked well.
I had the same problem with the smallest of my nameless Chinese gauges and fixed it the same way. Still feels gritty but it works pretty well.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I took my cheapy Enco things apart, cleaned ‘em, oiled, and they were not bad. Still don’t have the ‘feel’ as my B&S’s, but very acceptable.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Here's the wear that I found on this particular gage.
229-wear.jpg
I am aware that it won't last forever. Is this part likely case hardened? Is that why it looks like it's flaking off?