Pinched rod ??

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

theste

Pinched rod ??

Post by theste »

Hi all,

I am fixing a antique clockwork toy but I am finding it how to create this type of crimped/pinched rod. See photos below

How would go about recreating and what tool would I need?

IMG_20180504_214852.jpg
IMG_20180504_214907.jpg
Russ Hanscom

Re: Pinched rod ??

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Most likely it was made with a hardened steel die in a press. You could make something similar that could be used in a vise - two jaws of a hardenable steel with the correct profile - some sort of alignment pins or frame, and insert rod and squeeze.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Those are used in brake assemblies, among other things, too.
I have built many with a ball-peen hammer and an anvil. Cold formed.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

That's begging for a bit of press tooling.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

An alternative solution might be to slot the end of the rod and silver braze in a thin lozenge of metal to simulate the pinched ears. Might be hard to do at a final assembly, but if one end is hidden then the visible end would look ok if carefully polished. At final assembly, perhaps one could use cyanoacrylate instead of silver braze.
Just a thought.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
theste

Post by theste »

Thank you all that is much appreciated. I will have ago and see what i can do.

It doesn't need to look pretty because going to have some cloth over the frame. it only need pinching make sure the rod says where it is.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

theste wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:49 am Thank you all that is much appreciated. I will have ago and see what i can do.

It doesn't need to look pretty because going to have some cloth over the frame. it only need pinching make sure the rod says where it is.
In that case just sandwich it between two pieces of hardened steel and hit it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Take a cheap pair of Vise Grips, like a Horror Freight Vise Grip wanna-be clone, and grind the jaws smooth. Easy enough to weld on a block so you have a bigger target to smack with a hammer, and another to lay on an anvil.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.