My greatest Shop Photo

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

My greatest Shop Photo

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here is my greatest shop photo, of all times. Bar None.
A85A319C-3B4E-4870-849F-521B6B4E12D9.jpeg
WHY, You ask?

Well, Because of all those thousands of cubic inches of EMPTY SPACE where my old lathe used to be! :D

I haven’t seen this part of my shop floor in years. Iam thinking of making a bunch of clear plexiglass 1’ sq cubes to stack in here, just to admire my EMPTY SPACE. Maybe count them all Every week,or so, just to continue the thrill of enjoying all this EMPTY SPACE that now makes up half my shop. Words can’t describe!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveHGraham

Re: My greatest Shop Photo

Post by SteveHGraham »

Is it normal for shops to have floors?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

If you can see the floor.....you don't have enough stuff.
That's a rule.
;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

How did you make the lathe disappear?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

GlennW wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:44 pm How did you make the lathe disappear?
Glenn,

A buyer appeared like magic off Craig’s list. Even brought his own 8’ tall, off road, industrial grade tracked forklift with him. And a tilt trailer with a 4x8 bed on the front end. Never had an easier time moving a piece of equipment. :shock:

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

RSG

Post by RSG »

You know that space is just begging to be filled.....right! :roll:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Maybe you should b put some of that unused space on Craig's list. I could sure use some. Would you be able to deliver? :)
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Ginsberg's Law:

"Things" fills space available.

Ginsberg's storage was all filled up, so he bought more cabinets, and they ended up exactly as filled up as before.

It's not that we have a certain amount of stuff - its' that we are willing to tolerate having our stuff packed in to a certain degree, and it doesn't matter how much space we have, we will fill it to that degree.

Ginsberg decided to get rid of some cabinets.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

earlgo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:09 pm Maybe you should b put some of that unused space on Craig's list. I could sure use some. Would you be able to deliver? :)
--earlgo
:D :D :D Reminds me. Couple of years ago I couldn’t believe how much useless trash people put on the free sectin of Craig’s list. Rotted tree limbs, broken concrete blocks, worn out tires, that sort of thing.

So in a fit of irony, I advertised “Free Air” - shop vacuum fill up available curb side, just being large black plastic garbage bags for transport. To compliment the free dead tree limbs and stumps that abounded that day. Apparently the local CL fanatics were not amused. My add got crowd sourced off the site in less than an hour.

Maybe free shop space on Tools would get a better reception. Sweeten the deal with free shipping via email. :shock:

Glenn

earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You'd probably have to WinZip the space so it would fit in my email box. I'd be afraid to find out what would happen if I unzipped it in the wrong spot. Would it replace or encompass what was there? :?:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Earl, Earl, think of what of what this could do to the cloud - unzip and poof! Expanding the very Universe.