How do I make this?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DavidF

Re: How do I make this?

Post by DavidF »

whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

DavidF wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 am Got $6.00 ??
http://www.shars.com/products/cutting/e ... g-end-mill
I don't think an 1/8" corner rounding end mill is going to give him the 3/8" radius he needs. :mrgreen: The 3/8" is only $17, though.

Slightly OT, but something I have always found rather curious is how end mills are priced vs. router bits. They essentially do the same thing, with end mills presumably having a harder life cutting metal. Yet router bits are often times far more expensive. Is it just because of the need to spin at higher speeds? Or is it because of the different market?

Dave
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Again thanks for all the ideas. The roundover router bit sounds like my best bet.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:13 pm Again thanks for all the ideas. The roundover router bit sounds like my best bet.
As a matter of economy, they really do make sense. The typical wood working carbide tool is generally made of C2 carbide, the very choice you'd make for machining non-ferrous materials. They're a very sensible choice, assuming you can live with the reduced shank size. For larger radii, you'd, for sure, want the ½" shank.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

It just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat. An impossible task can have several solutions otherwise thought to be impossible. Thanks to the various minds on this forum, an impossible task has been made doable. Thanks again. It's great to learn something new every day.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi