How do I make this?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

How do I make this?

Post by Mr Ron »

This is a hinge detail. The material is aluminum. How do I make this? I have a lathe, mill, drill press; no welding. I could buy them, but would like to make them if it's within my ability and resources. I need 12 of each part. I thought about making them by building up from a 3/4" rod and a flat bar, but I don't have welding equipment. A casting is another possibility, but no foundry equipment. I thought about screwing the rod to the flat bar, but not too keen on that idea. I could make them from a 1-3/8 x 3/4 x 3 aluminum bar, but how would I make the rounded portion? Maybe I could nibble away at the round portion with an end mill and finish with a file.

Hinge.jpg
Hinge.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
[/url]
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
whateg0

Re: How do I make this?

Post by whateg0 »

Are you familiar with Kellering? How close to a radius does it need to be? With a pretty small stepover, you can mill that radius; just takes some patience. Setup to do a couple per piece of stock, or if you can clamp the material to the table, you could do more at one time. That's how I would do it. Well, actually, I would program it into my CNC mill and let it make them for me.

Dave
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Two methods. One is to solder a tube or rod to flat stock and machine or file out the areas to make the parts to mate up as a hinge. Use silver solder for stronger part.

The other is to machine from solid stock using end mill and then machine the rounded area with a radius end mill.

This is assuming you do not have CNC available.

Rob
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Do you have a rotary table?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Make them from brass stock and silver braze the rod to the flat stock.
Cut, mill, and drill as desired. I have made hinges that way.
Brass makes a better hinge than aluminum, anyway.
~RN
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01826247

I would use a corner radius bit.

Pete
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thanks! I didn't think about a corner radius bit. Way to go. On the other hand, that bit costs $91, so no go.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Mr Ron wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 am Thanks! I didn't think about a corner radius bit. Way to go. On the other hand, that bit costs $91, so no go.
Router bits work well on Aluminium
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 am Thanks! I didn't think about a corner radius bit. Way to go. On the other hand, that bit costs $91, so no go.
You can hand grind a corner rounding cutter using a large shank. Easily done, and can be quite precise----in keeping with the degree of skill you've developed in offhand grinding.
If you can grip a shank larger than 3/4", it's not all that difficult to make. Make sure you're using one that's hardened (like an end mill), as drill shanks are not hard.
Start by grinding away half the shank on the cutting end. Using a micrometer, grind it flat, to the centerline (don't go beyond).

With the flat ground (in essence, a D bit), paying attention to the direction it will run in operation, grind the desired radius on the proper corner. Pay attention to relief, especially on the end, where it swings a very tight radius. When you have the desired form ground, relieve the opposite corner, so it can't touch the work piece. My practice is to simply remove the entire corner, to the centerline. What's left is just 90° of the original round shank, slightly longer than the radius I intend to machine.
If you have any round hand stones, choose one that is no larger than the radius you hope to machine. Chuck it so it can rotate at high speed, and use it to fine tune the hand ground radius, again, paying attention to the necessary relief.

H

Edit:
Keep your eyes open for sales on carbide roundover router bits. A nice set can be had for about $20 (made in China). I have such a set, and have used the bits for metals (not for steel) with excellent results. Avoid the ¼" shanks, as you benefit by the larger shank in the way of rigidity.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The accommodating sketch shows how to machine it from a solid block on the milling machine, starting with an aluminum block .750 x 1.375 x 3.000 long. A rough 3/4" diameter shape will approximate and can be made pretty round with some filing. I may be able to gang mill them a few at a time.

Hinge.jpg
Hinge.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
[/url]
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have made them in a long stick...I think it is easier than one at a time.

silver solder the rod to the flat part...holding in place with clamps and / or screws...either cut a half round out of the flat bar or make a flat on the rod

set up in vise and mill in 'notches' between the ears as needed, then saw them off with a slitting saw.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

If you want to make them as shown in your last drawing post, this youtube video shows a really easy way to quickly and accurately round those over with a standard endmill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTj6LC6agrg

Herman
Just starting an Allen Mogul
renewing a Marie Estelle