Shaper forum??

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Magicniner

Re: Shaper forum??

Post by Magicniner »

I think, like my Shaper, the shaper forum may be up a dusty corner of the garage with some of it's internals stacked on the table ready for reassembly ;-)
RGS

Post by RGS »

Welcome to the world of shapers. I obtained one and had a friend deliver it from Phoenix. http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 4&t=100815 Can't believe that it was 3 years ago already. I see that yours is the original Atlas model and does not have the supporting arm for the table. That will limit how deep a cut you can make. Did you get a vise with it? I have found they don't come up very often and are expensive when they do. You can find a lot of shaper info here http://neme-s.org/. In addition to the Atlas Shaper I have a Atlas Mill and Craftsman Lathe. I find that I use the shaper about as much as I do the mill. It is great for cutting internal keyways. I have also made several QCTP holders and I use the shaper to cut the dovetail. It is a learning curve in how to use it. You will have to get creative on how to hold items.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hello Patio,

Nice looking machine. I didn’t know Logan made a shaper. It appears most every manufacturer produced this style of machine in the day!

Thanks much for the link to groups.io. Many on line forms are moving away from Yahoo to Groups.io apparently. I will go visit the site. Might be very interesting. With 50 posts per month, clearly there is an active community out there.

RDS, thank you for the Neme-s.org site as well. I had no idea this existed. Yes, mine seems to be a very early model- one of the first produced by Atlas, perhaps. I plan on adding a support arm to the table. Essentially turn it into a 7b.

It did come with the original vice. Pretty rusted. So has to go into the electrolysis tank and maybe get a new set of jaws. I also have to make a new handle to turn all the shafts. The PO wouldn’t let it go.

Much appreciated.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
RGS

Post by RGS »

You will find that the handles are also hard to get. I made one from a boat winch handle. I used a 1/3" bolt that I flattened on both sides, I used the shaper for this and then welded the head in a 3/4" 3/8" drive socket. This works good but when you look for a winch handle I found that you will want to get one no longer than about 6".
RGS

Post by RGS »

I did have the opportunity to visit the NEMES museum last fall and found it very interesting.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

The holes were made with a dividing head and used to level the part with a Starrett square head. The dimension was achieved by measuring to the opposite side. The holes were turned off at the end, no use giving the Customer any ideas on this top secret replacement.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

I produced a lot of odd parts on an 8 inch Logan. They're slow by todays standards but cheap to operate and can do some things standard machine tools can't. I added a DRO to the Logan and used it to cut 5 foot long racks for a CNC plasma table. As near as I can measure using a 24 inch dial calliper for a standard, the movement is within a couple of thou. Good enough for a torch.
I stumbled onto an 18 inch Peerless that was made in Guelph Ontario. Haven't been able to find any info on it but have run across a couple of people that have them. Installed a DRO on it too.
Its a work horse. Great for cleaning up rusty metal that would eat end mills. Have made boring bars? for cutting internal keyways. Have never had to buy a broach. Grind a cutter and cut any size dovetail you want.
Only drawback on the Peerless is the feed rate of the table. 0.014 step is the finest I can get so surface finishes aren't as good as I got with the Logan, even with a shear tool.

Greg
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Just a over a month ago the topic was discussed at http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 4&t=106622

Again, my opinion is: A shaper is a "Dust collector" most would be better using their precious space for other machines; do not need any more forums added to an already long list.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

RGS wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:57 am I did have the opportunity to visit the NEMES museum last fall and found it very interesting.
I was there too.

I asked one of the people there why the shaper even exists.

He said that in the early days of machine tools, it was much easier to make a precision flat surface, like ways or dovetails, than it was to make a precision rotating spindle.

Steve