Servicing a screw compressor ??

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ksor

Servicing a screw compressor ??

Post by ksor »

What kind of oiæ should I user for such a cmpressor:

I use in in my home hobby shop so I dont want to spend the money for a PROFFESIONAL SERVICE - costs more than I paid for the compressor in the first place :cry:

Can anyone recommend what I should do ?
Inspector

Re: Servicing a screw compressor ??

Post by Inspector »

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Go here: https://filterproducts.com/lubricants/l ... reference/

And enter Rotair.

Looks like ISO 46 Compressor oil is what you need.
Options:
You can buy mineral based ISO 46 screw compressor oil
You can buy synthetic based ISO 46 screw compressor oil. Change intervals are about double of mineral oils, and they also prolong the life of the oil separator.
You could use a ISO AW46 hydraulic oil. Cheaper, but less anti-wear additives, and they tend to foam a bit more. (usually not a problem, unless the compressor cycles on & off frequently)

Many screw compressors (I' have been around lots, but not Rollair brand) used Type A ATF, hydraulic oils, and even light viscosity motor oils. They really aren't that picky.
Synthetic, in my opinion, is the way to go. Longer service interval, and they tend not to plug up the separator...which is spendy.
Don't forget to change the oil filter. ;)

When in doubt, check with your Rollair dealer, but they will no doubt push the genuine certified will change your life Rollair branded oil. (That they buy from someone like Chevron) :)

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ksor

Post by ksor »

Thx for the reply and links !