Atlas quick wheel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Atlas quick wheel

Post by Harold_V »

I just experienced the modification of a socket, albeit one with an integral U joint. While it was machineable (I had to drill and tap a couple of 10-32 threads in the sides), what I discovered was that they are likely nitrided. The center drill I used for spotting was dulled immediately, so I hand ground a spade drill from a piece of round carbide scrap I had on hand, which had no trouble penetrating the hardened skin. Once that was accomplished, opening the holes and tapping were not an issue.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Harold, what does it mean when you say the socket might be ‘nitrited’? I assume some form of coating, but what would a nitrate coating consist of?

Also, I wonder if these sockets might be case hardened and seriously passivated through some chemical immersion process, and or chromed to prevent rust? Iam curious, as I’ve never seen a spec of corrosion on any socket, and some of mine are over 50 years old hard working mechanics tools, part of which lived on a fishing boat for decades in and near salt water.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I think Harold means "nitrided". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks John, Very interesting read.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:26 pm I think Harold means "nitrided". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding
Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you, John. :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.