Atlas quick wheel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Atlas quick wheel

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Started restoring an old 1939 Atlas 7” shaper that I bought a week or so ago. The prior owner kept the handle for another machine. So I decided to make a three spoke quick wheel in lieu of the traditional one spoke handle. All the square drive shafts on the shaper are 3/8”, including the shaper vise. So one size fits all.

Methodology was fairly simple. Face off a 3/8” square socket drive. Press the square drive part into the bored out part of a 1 1/8” housing. Drill and tap the housing for three 3” spokes. Admire a nice little half day project on the lathe.

Here’s the construction photos.
Turning and facing some really nice junkyard steel 1 1/8” shafting
Turning and facing some really nice junkyard steel 1 1/8” shafting
Placed three index marks on the housing.Used a level on each jaw of a three  jaw chuck to set the centers at 120* each  for the three handles.  Used the tool bit to scribe the witness marks.
Placed three index marks on the housing.Used a level on each jaw of a three jaw chuck to set the centers at 120* each for the three handles. Used the tool bit to scribe the witness marks.
Second operation on my 1919 Dalton 7” lathe. Facing off the socket end of a square drive socket.
Second operation on my 1919 Dalton 7” lathe. Facing off the socket end of a square drive socket.
Bored the housing to .625” and light pressed the socket square end in place.
Bored the housing to .625” and light pressed the socket square end in place.
Press it home.
Press it home.
Housing and socket end, drilled and tapped for the three handles.
Housing and socket end, drilled and tapped for the three handles.
Housing and handles ready for assembly
Housing and handles ready for assembly
Ready to go
Ready to go
Handle in place on the shaper
Handle in place on the shaper
Handle mounted on the shaper vise.  BTW, the vise mounts perfectly on my Delta DP AND my Burke #4 horizontal mill.  An unexpected benefit!
Handle mounted on the shaper vise. BTW, the vise mounts perfectly on my Delta DP AND my Burke #4 horizontal mill. An unexpected benefit!
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Magicniner

Re: Atlas quick wheel

Post by Magicniner »

Nice one!
I really like that,
Regards,
Nick
RSG

Post by RSG »

Nice work Glenn!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

It's so convenient when they use 3/8" or 1/2" square drives for stuff like that. I recently made a wrench for the carriage lock on my 10ee from a socket and an old wrench. And it's so rewarding when it works out. Nice job!
carriage lock wrench.jpg
Dave
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes, indeed. Looking good Dave.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

RGS

Post by RGS »

I made one using a boat winch handle and a socket. I might have to copy yours also.

IMG_1192-1.jpg
TOTALLYRC

Post by TOTALLYRC »

Nice work.
It might be nice to add ball ends to each handle like the one on your drill press.

Mike
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

How were you able to drill and tap a socket? Isn't the steel very hard?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Mr Ron wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am How were you able to drill and tap a socket? Isn't the steel very hard?
I could be wrong, but I don't think he had to drill into the socket. The collar that he made is pressed over the socket. The collar is what is threaded.

Dave
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yep, Dave is correct. I made the collar to have meat enuf to hold the handles. The socket is pressed into the body of the part.

Interestingly, I was able to turn and face off the five point “socket” end of the socket. I was concerned about the socket hardness, but it provided not to be an issue, at least for the random spare socket I pulled out of my tool box. It cut just fine with a small 1/4” lathe bit on my old antique 7” Dalton belt drive lathe. My guess is all sockets are not created equal. Some indeed may be hardened and nearly impenetrable. Mine was easy to work with, fortunately.

Glenn

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I think you'll find that sockets aren't too hard to machine. If they were, they'd fracture under shock loads, or under excessive stress. They're tough (likely near 50Rc), but machinable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I've never had any trouble machining sockets or extensions. I have used sockets to make torque wrench adapters for my SPV tapping heads. I use them for the square end as done here. I cut a 3" long 1/2" drive extension in half, turned the ends to fit a section of pipe, and welded it all together to make a 24" long extension. I can't understand why they cost a fortune, but they do. This was cheap and works great. Like Harold suggested, they are tough, not hard and brittle.

Dave