OT Using DryGas in alcohol blended gasolene

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gjbickfo

OT Using DryGas in alcohol blended gasolene

Post by gjbickfo »

I have an old truck that I have been not driving in the winter. The only reason I still have the 1990 Nissan Hardbody pickup that I bought new is because I've kept it away from road salt. I really like the old truck and would like to keep it forever, inspite of many people asking to buy it. It's like a rock and only has 79,000 miles on it.
My question is about using alcohol based DryGas in alcohol blended gasolene. Normally, I add a bottle of DryGas with the first fillup in the spring to eliminate any accumulated water in the old steel tank. But I'm wondering if adding alcohol to alcohol blended fuel is pointless or even detrimental.
Thanks Greg.
John Evans

Re: OT Using DryGas in alcohol blended gasolene

Post by John Evans »

Won't hurt a thing,especially if there is more water in the tank than the alcohol laced fuel can handle.
www.chaski.com
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Adding dry gas does nothing. Your running 10 or 15% alcohol in the fuel from the pump. So 10 gal of fuel contains 1 gal of alcohol to start. How many oz are in the little bottle of dry gas?? I don't see any benefit.......

Bob
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Keep the tank full.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

The alcohol from the gas pump is ethanol. Dry gas is methanol or isopropyl alcohol. All of those are hygroscopic and readily absorb water into the mix (though some people say ethanol more readily breaks down and releases that water?).

Personally... I would side-step and say leaving ethanol-gas in the tank long term is a bad idea as it eats fuel lines/etc of older cars. I've found the only reliable preservation in our small gas generators is to completely drain the system. With or without dry gas, it turns into a wet varnish mess if left in the tank for a few months.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

choprboy wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:25 pm The alcohol from the gas pump is ethanol. Dry gas is methanol or isopropyl alcohol. All of those are hygroscopic and readily absorb water into the mix (though some people say ethanol more readily breaks down and releases that water?).

Personally... I would side-step and say leaving ethanol-gas in the tank long term is a bad idea as it eats fuel lines/etc of older cars. I've found the only reliable preservation in our small gas generators is to completely drain the system. With or without dry gas, it turns into a wet varnish mess if left in the tank for a few months.
That has not been my experience. Fifty years ago varnish was certainly a problem but in this century I've found that engines can be simply shut off in the fall, sit all winter, and start up fine in the spring (except for mouse nests).
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Can't answer to the additive stuff but I had a Nissan 4 cyl, 1990 king cab pickup. I had 488,000K (303,000 miles) on it when I sent her off for scrap after 17 years of driving. Got a $2,000 government rebate for a more efficient car that was worth way more than she was or I would have run her into the ground. Scruffy was a great truck and wish I still had her.

Pete
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I ran my 1970 Datsun 1600 truck for 360K miles, although with one engine rebuild and a later replacement with an 1800cc rebuilt long-block that was available.
Along the way I installed a 5-speed tranny, two replacement rear ends, and the entire brake system, new drums included.
Body metal rot was the eventual killer. Otherwise, they were stout vehicles.

I still have my Mother's 1973 240Z, in pristine condition, garaged its entire life, 122K miles, and capable of daily driving.
I'm having an electric fuel pump installed next week, FINALLY! Today I will search for the rumored factory original wiring for the pump.
I've not had any noticeable problems with the alcohol content of modern fuels, Although I did remove and R&R the gas tank (+ replaced all hoses) several years ago.
It's a dream car to still have in the Family.
~RN
240Z right.jpg
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

NP317 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 am I ran my 1970 Datsun 1600 truck for 360K miles, although with one engine rebuild and a later replacement with an 1800cc rebuilt long-block that was available.
Along the way I installed a 5-speed tranny, two replacement rear ends, and the entire brake system, new drums included.
Body metal rot was the eventual killer. Otherwise, they were stout vehicles.

I still have my Mother's 1973 240Z, in pristine condition, garaged its entire life, 122K miles, and capable of daily driving.
I'm having an electric fuel pump installed next week, FINALLY! Today I will search for the rumored factory original wiring for the pump.
I've not had any noticeable problems with the alcohol content of modern fuels, Although I did remove and R&R the gas tank (+ replaced all hoses) several years ago.
It's a dream car to still have in the Family.
~RN
240Z right.jpg
I also had a Datsun truck. That was one tough truck. I remember pulling a 12' travel trailer through soft sand at Pismo beach in Ca. with 4 aboard and loaded down with camping gear. while mobile homes were getting stuck in the sand. The secret was to keep going as fast as possible. Once you stopped, there would not be enough traction to get going again. I gave it to my brother-in-law and he drove it to new York without any problems. I then got a 150 Ford and wished I had the Datsun back. The Ford was a real dog and got rid of it quickly.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

John Hasler wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:32 pm Keep the tank full.
Best idea here!
That's what I do. And a little StaBil additive when I fill stuff to sit around.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.