Another "How to make" question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Another "How to make" question

Post by Mr Ron »

tornitore45 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:48 am What is the limitation that sets your RT resolution to 1 degree? Never heard of a RT like that.
Perhaps removing such limitation is the answer to endless filing.
The markings on my RT are 1° increments. I don't have any means of getting "tenth's" on my RT. I don't have a dividing head.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Mr Ron wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 pm
tornitore45 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:48 am What is the limitation that sets your RT resolution to 1 degree? Never heard of a RT like that.
Perhaps removing such limitation is the answer to endless filing.
The markings on my RT are 1° increments. I don't have any means of getting "tenth's" on my RT. I don't have a dividing head.
Can you put a dial on the handlewheel? I don't know what the reduction is on your rotab, but if you can even put a piece of tape around it dividing the perimeter, you can get awfully close.

Dave
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
Mr. Ron wrote:The markings on my RT are 1° increments. I don't have any means of getting "tenth's" on my RT
I wonder if you could make a vernier scale for your rotary table.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
pete

Post by pete »

Well I can relate to making as much as possible yourself Ron. :-) At that weight then the cast resin material should work fine.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Just to put it in perspective, this is one of the locomotives I built using cast epoxy resin for the wheels. This loco happens to be 1/8 scale, but I have switched scale due to lack of room to 1/16 scale. This loco has 12V motors and runs on storage batteries. Radio control is a future plan.

000_0258.jpg
[/url]
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice Boxcab!
~RN
Patio

Post by Patio »

Draw the wheel in CAD, get it printed, make a rubber mold, cast your parts.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Patio wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 am Draw the wheel in CAD, get it printed, make a rubber mold, cast your parts.
How much would it cost to print a wheel about 5" dia x 3/8" thick and where would I find someone to do it? I have all the makings to mold and cast with epoxies.