Saw blades

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Saw blades

Post by Mr Ron »

I have been cutting aluminum plate on my table saw using a carbide tooth saw blade designed for cutting wood. It has worked OK, but I know it is not the right blade for aluminum. I want to get a blade designed for cutting aluminum and found this Freud 10", 80 tooth blade for $59 & change. I also found this Oshlun 7-1/4", 60 tooth blade for only $23 & change.The maximum thickness of aluminum I will cut will not exceed 1" and mostly less than 1/2". My thoughts are that I can use the 7-1/4" blade and not pay almost 3X more for the larger blade. They both received good reviews unlike the cheap blades from China. I do this as a hobby, not production. Can I get by with the Oshlun blade?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
10KPete

Re: Saw blades

Post by 10KPete »

Any blade that doesn't throw the carbides should be good. I've used about everything over the years.

Pete
Just tryin'
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

While there may be exceptions, the carbide grade recommended for aluminum is C2, which is the grade generally used for wood cutting saw blades, so they're actually a pretty good match for cutting aluminum. C2 resists wear, which is the problem with cutting wood---it dulls blades rather quickly in spite of not being particularly hard.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pete

Post by pete »

The other way to look at it is the blade peripheral speed. Since most table saws can't be adjusted for rpm then the 7 1/4" would help that a bit. I found slowly easing into the cut when first starting it seemed to be a little easier for the shock loads on each tooth. Once it's got a full radius in the depth of the material then you can start pushing the cut. Likely you already know Ron but it's recommended to set the blade height so it just barely cuts through the full depth of material again I suspect to ease the shock loads. Plus I'd hate to have one of those carbide tips Pete mentioned thrown at me if your not using a blade guard.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thanks. I ordered the Oshlun 7-1/4" blade; cost $23.34; free shipping. I want to eliminate "hogging" material with an end mill. Sawing solves that.
pete

Post by pete »

I remember reading something in one of my books Ron that really stuck with me. Drilling holes and sawing are far more efficient at metal removal rates than anything else. Roughing the material down to size first before moving to the higher precision of machining was the best way if it's possible. Plus there's a big reduction in wear rates on the tooling if your not hogging that waste material out. If I was doing a lot of work with aluminum plate like you are I think I'd be doing the same.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I just received my Oshlun 4-14" blade and cut some 3/8" thick aluminum. It cut through like butter with little noise. The only thing bad is the hot chips that fly at you. I wear safety glasses when cutting. I need to add a shield to deflect the hot chips. I used to cut with a metal cutting bandsaw, but sawing is a much better way to do it. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with my purchase and it didn't break the bank. I plan on rough cutting the side plates for my new engine and finish machine on the mill.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I've had trouble cutting aluminum with my dry cutting steel saw; the teeth get gummed up with aluminum.

The dry saw runs far slower than a woodsaw. Probably the teeth aren't as sharp and the cutting angle is different.

And of course there are many alloys of aluminum, I have no idea what I have. some 3/8" plate pieces that machine quite well.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:54 am I've had trouble cutting aluminum with my dry cutting steel saw; the teeth get gummed up with aluminum.

The dry saw runs far slower than a woodsaw. Probably the teeth aren't as sharp and the cutting angle is different.

And of course there are many alloys of aluminum, I have no idea what I have. some 3/8" plate pieces that machine quite well.
A blade meant to cut steel isn't good for cutting aluminum, any alloy. The aluminum cutting blade has a negative rake. Since the blade is 7-1/4" dia, it's surface cutting rate is much lower than would be for a 10" blade.