How to Steady Small Parts on Workbench?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

How to Steady Small Parts on Workbench?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am still fixing up my indoor bench for small work.

Today I had to take apart the monitor for my dad's ancient Nordictrack so I could make it work long enough for a Craigslist sale. It slipped and slid all over the place. This leads me to ask: what's the best workholding solution for small parts? I'm don't mean rock-solid Kurt-type workholding. I mean, for example, holding something up while I solder a connection, or just generally keeping things from sliding away from me.

I would prefer not to drill holes. Something that clamps to a table top would be okay.

I saw something called a Panavise. Didn't look too bad. Also, someone makes a neat PCB holder that rotates and locks.

I've used tiny cast iron bases with alligator clips. They were helpful, but the quality was sub-Chinese.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Duder321

Re: How to Steady Small Parts on Workbench?

Post by Duder321 »

A panavise is my go to. I've been in electronics my whole career and while small Palmgren vises, various pcb holders, and other purpose built fixtures have been in my aresenal, a panavise is still the most useful and used of the bunch.

Only get the vac base if your work suface is flat and clean. Otherwise, look for a clamp on style. It's easy to make custom jaws for them as well.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks. I'm thinking of trying the tray base and getting a clamp base for backup.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Second the Panavise.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Panavice or equivalent is good,
For soldering I have a small device with two flexible arms about 6" long attached to a magnetic base, with alligator clips on the end. Perfect for soldering wires together.
For most other smallish items, I have a cat. He lies on them.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

How much for the cat?
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Here are some of my Panavise-related ideas you might find helpful or inspirational...

A desk hook is handy in its own right but, after publishing this...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/desk-hook-32928

I mounted the Panavise to it. Now I can simply drop it into position when needed or, with the Panavise removed, use it as a bench hook is normally used.

A prismatic jaw for a Panavise is very helpful...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/pris ... vise-55615

as are carriers to secure Foredom/Dremel handpieces so both hands can be used to hold the work...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/fore ... rier-45235

This soldering fixture is very handy; its mounting rod fits into the Panavise base so it can be positioned at comfortable working angles...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/sold ... ture-27314
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Another vote for a Panavise, I use the vacuum base and clamp a lot, never saw the need for the tray style base.
Panavise also makes a circuit board holding attachment, super handy for hot air desoldering.
You should check on eBay for NOS for their accessories, they even make a small surface plate.
One thing on my to make list is a set of ball and socket arms with alligator clip ends.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Those tools are neat, Marv. I didn't understand what you were talking about at first, and then I realized you were dealing with a different flavor of Panavise. I'm getting the one with the neoprene jaws that open 9".

I have a bench hook and a similar item--a shooting board--in my shop.

I didn't know how popular the Panavise was until I started this thread. I also did not realize Homemadetools.net was a real site. I knew that a few crude items I made had shown up there, and I assumed it was some kind of foreign ripoff site that stole people's material in order to get traffic. Now that I see that there is more to it, I will be looking it over.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:32 am How much for the cat?
Sorry Steve. He's priceless.
'May be evil sometimes, too.
~RN
NamirEvilEyesSmall.jpg
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:17 pm Those tools are neat, Marv. I didn't understand what you were talking about at first, and then I realized you were dealing with a different flavor of Panavise. I'm getting the one with the neoprene jaws that open 9".

I have a bench hook and a similar item--a shooting board--in my shop.

I didn't know how popular the Panavise was until I started this thread. I also did not realize Homemadetools.net was a real site. I knew that a few crude items I made had shown up there, and I assumed it was some kind of foreign ripoff site that stole people's material in order to get traffic. Now that I see that there is more to it, I will be looking it over.
Yes, I have those jaws as well; very handy for PCB work but a bit light for working small metal parts. Also, given their size, in certain orientations the jaws can foul against the work surface. My advice is to get both work heads; they're not terribly expensive.

The clamp-at-any-angle base is great. Rather than some weird, you must buy accessories from us, fitting, it's a simple clamp that accepts, IMS a 5/8" rod. Obviously, making split collets to accept smaller sizes is trivial.

Homemadetools.net is really a great resource. Yes, they do troll the net for projects worth incorporating but most of the good work comes from members. Jon, the webmaster, is intelligent, moderate and sensible. He keeps the work well-organized so it's possible to find examplars easily. For instance, under the category of "Workholding" is the sub-category of "vises"...

http://www.homemadetools.net/category/vises

Click on any of the snapshots to get more information.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The Panavise is here. Looks like it will work very well for me. Kind of surprised there is no lube in the ball mechanism, but maybe they know something I don't.

I decided to go crazy and get a "third hand" device for it. I really hate struggling to hold wires together for the soldering iron.

I learned a lot of stuff about third hands. A company called GRS makes a highly respected steel product with two hands on it. For the budget-minded (cheap) customer, there are a couple of outfits called Hobby Creek and Quadhands. Hobby Creek makes a base that holds 4 flexible pipes with alligator clips on them. Quadhands uses 4 metal arms with alligator clips. I don't know what to call the stuff the Quadhands arms are made of. It's like a steel gooseneck lamp.

I decided to try Hobby Creek because someone on the web said their product was less prone to springing back when you try to adjust it. Also, the arm parts are generic, so they should be easy to replace. The base is made to fit between a Panavise and its tray.

We'll see what happens.