Power Hacksaw Blades

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Power Hacksaw Blades

Post by John Hasler »

I'm in the market for a power hacksaw blades for the power hacksaw that I've just about completed. 19.5" (500 mm) between hole centers (that seems to be how they are measured), 1" to 1.25" wide, not over .050" thick. HSS or bimetal, of course. Any sources?
liveaboard

Re: Power Hacksaw Blades

Post by liveaboard »

ebay returns some hits; that's where I buy that sort of thing.

I've put a bid on one in the UK; massive and ancient.
So I might be a power hacksaw owner as well soon.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I scrapped out a Peerless saw but saved the blades. There are 9 at 13" center to center and 1 at 21" center to center. All excess inventory. There are none at 19.5". Price is right, but the blades are not. Wish I could help.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

One could shorten a blade and re-drill a mounting hole.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

earlgo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:03 am I scrapped out a Peerless saw but saved the blades. There are 9 at 13" center to center and 1 at 21" center to center. All excess inventory. There are none at 19.5". Price is right, but the blades are not. Wish I could help.

--earlgo
What's the material, width and thickness of the 21"? As Webb says, I can shorten and re-drill.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The blade is 1-3/4 wide, .093 thk, and 6tpi. 21" between the holes and appears to be unused. The name has long disappeared. This looks like one of the blades I bought 60 years ago to make a bowie knife. The other blade made the knife and my dad kept this one for some reason.
20180628_135231.jpg
. PM me if you want to clean it up and use it. If you pass, that is ok, too. Price will be shipping only. (That is the wheel of the table saw base you see down below. Not part of the sawblade. :D )
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Thanks, but it's too thick. I'll just keep on cutting down bandsaw blades. I got a long 1" blade at Stout surplus for a dollar: that will last me a little while.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

My father-in-law Charlie was a die maker in the old school
He took the used hack saw blades they had at work and ground them on a surface grinder to use at his job.
When he retired, I got some great "hardened" straight edges 2 and 3 feet long , and they are Straight !
Unlike the straight edges you buy today, these are muscle bound !
Rich