How much would all this be worth?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: How much would all this be worth?

Post by Harold_V »

John Evans wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am
John Hasler wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:54 am

What's the attachment on the back of the Bridgeport?
That looks to be a shaper/slotting head ,could also be a cherrying head . Can't see enough to be sure,my money is on the slotting head as they are more common.
My BP has a slotting head attached. From the appearance, you're correct in saying that's what is shown in the picture. The clapper is quite large as compared to the spindle of a cherrying head.

I have a personal dislike for rusted machines. The work required to make them reliable is often beyond the value of the machine, even if it is free. I wouldn't go near any of those machines, but then I'm speaking from the position of the guy who doesn't need them. I might feel differently if I had pursued machines endlessly, without success.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The Clausing is history. Probably has 30 thousandths of rust on the bed. Take it off with a sander and use it for turning wood.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

Value is a hard thing to set from just pictures.
These pictures look to me like it would take a big effort to get the machines working... and a major task to make them look good.
Its possible the greatest value is as parts.

The Clausing lathe appears to have a taper attachment. Something that might be worth $200-$500 as rusty parts. It looks like there might be a lathe face plate under the shaper. Any chuck for a L00 has at least a saveable backing plate.

That vise on the shaper is a hernia maker for sure.... but it is worth much more than scrape value. I dont care if it works Ill give ya $100 for it... Please look for the handle :) That is if shipping is even slightly affordable....

On the mill is a dividing head of some sort. Of course the power feeds and slotter head or what ever it is has value...easily $100 each. Heck rusty Bridgeport handles are bring $20 plus on ebay.... And I can see 4 handles on the mill.

These are some of the things I notice .... If that was closer I would be all over it.... There is pile of rusty money waiting to be sorted from the junk....

I would suggest looking thru the tool boxes in the shaper picture...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I was fortunate to avoid buying a BP with the old type table power feed, which this one has. The reputation they earned was not good, so I was elated to get the more modern type, which has been quite reliable. Died once, but a lightning strike can do that to things.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
raptor2013

Post by raptor2013 »

looks like junk to me. it would take for ever to recondition