How much would all this be worth?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

How much would all this be worth?

Post by Mr Ron »

It looks to be in pretty bad shape. The Bridgeport look to be pretty ancient. https://gulfport.craigslist.org/tls/d/c ... 33837.html
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
LIALLEGHENY

Re: How much would all this be worth?

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Run!!!!! Look like victims of a flood.

Free or less than scrap value.

Nyle
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Looks dirty and neglected, but not necessarily scrap. Certainly doesn't look flooded to me.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Not saying it is scrap....just not worth scrap value. Ocean City, MS was partially flooded in 2017. Don't know if the machines were in the flood or not, but it would take an enormous amount of work to clean the machines up, and you have no idea what things on the inside look like.

Perfect for the person who has to much free time and not enough projects.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

A young person better buy them, anyone with any age to Them might not have enough time left to finish them.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Mr Ron,

It is possible this stuff was innundated during Katrina. Looks like the seller is in a low lying area just outside Biloxi. New Orleans and adjacent coastal areas had 12’ of storm surge, so this area could have been flooded. Placqamines parish was completely underwater for a week or so. Everything destroyed. Might not hurt to ask the seller what he knows. Judging from the present condition of the machines, and long term junk piled up around them, they’ve been sitting for quite a while unused. Might be the machines got knocked out during the storm and have sat ever since. I saw a lot of stuff around N.O. like this during the cleanup. Plaqemines Parish was completely underwater for a week or so. Everything destroyed. I’ve seen worse lathes than the Clausing. But the Bridgeport is pretty beat up and rusted, showing long term with no oiling, maintenance or use. So, probably it’s iffy, and you willl never know unless you drive down and take a look see. It would be pretty easy to see if the table and bearing surfaces are rusted shut, or not. Good luck on your investigation of this. Half the fun is in the exploration of these old barn finds.

Glenn

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

See if you can find a high water mark on the wooden beams in the wall.

That will be a dead giveaway.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

No high watermarks I can see. The Clausing looks pretty good. The Bridgeport is rusty and covered with cobwebs, making it hard to see just how bad the rust is. Even if it isn't restorable, though, I'd love to scrap it out for parts. Same with the shaper. There's tooling, too.

What's the attachment on the back of the Bridgeport?
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

It is not my intention to acquire them. As I said before, they are probably 3 ph and I am only an amateur. I would have no way of moving them and no place to put them. I was only acting out of curiosity; but I forget about Katrina. They could have easily been sitting in flood waters. Thanks for your response. Have a great 4th.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:54 am

What's the attachment on the back of the Bridgeport?
That looks to be a shaper/slotting head ,could also be a cherrying head . Can't see enough to be sure,my money is on the slotting head as they are more common.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Don't let 3-phase scare you off.

You can get static or rotary phase converters, or a variable frequency drive to run them.

3-phase scares off a lot of people, so the machines can go for cheap.

Steve
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Tuppence and a Balloon, it's all rusty as The Belgrano!