Buying fasteners

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: Buying fasteners

Post by tornitore45 »

Not to beat a dead horse but my only 2 experiences with Fastenal never brought me back.
They do not like to do business with you and in case you did not get the message they repeat it with the pricing.
Same story for Grainger.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've gone in the local Fastenals a few times when I first started a new shop here in Phoenix. Never bought anything, prices were just insane, and they really made it clear they didn't care for my business, and they really acted more like I was interfering with theirs. Like Graingers, I would have to be in serious pain to ever stop at another to buy anything...

However, when I bought my tractor a few years back, it had turf tires on the back. Fine for most things, but I wanted some R1 or R4 (ag or industrial, preferring the latter) rear tires. Holy shazam! Tractor tires cost a lot more than I remembered (or realized?) from my youth in farm country. More than I wanted to spend for my light residential use. I met a guy on a forum up in the northern states that had an full set of new R1 pull-offs with new wheels from the same (Kubota) tractor model, but they are heavy, so shipping was prohibitive. He suggested I contact Fastenal for their LTL service. I was doubtful, but checked, and sure enough, I got the tires here in about 3 weeks for very reasonable money. 4 tires and 4 wheels banded on a pallet for less than 1 new R1 rear tire (with associated fees).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The experiences with Fastenal stated by you is a surprise to me. my experience has been positive. Until my experience becomes negative, I will buy from them. I also use online vendors, especially for raw metals and items not carried locally. I'm sure the socket head cap screws I bought from them for 4¢ apiece came from China. They are definitely not Unbrako brand.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I wouldn't use them to secure the seat to a toilet bowl, let alone in a critical application in which failure would be a catastrophe.

As if a failure here would not be a catastrophe....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:07 pm I wouldn't use them to secure the seat to a toilet bowl, let alone in a critical application in which failure would be a catastrophe.

All depends on what you are doing while seated on the porcelain throne. :lol:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, yes I also shop fasteners almost exclusively at Tacoma Screw. Usually stop there Wednesday’s on the way home from the breakfast meet. Never had an account, so,usually always got charged full retail - which none of their regular customers pay. finally one of the old time counter guys says to me - “hey, you’ve been coming in here longer than I’ve worked here. you qualify for the “Good Guy Discount, be sure to ask for that each time you come in the store.” So now I get a tidy discount.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Your story about Tacoma Screw made me smile. Similar story for me.
They knew me at the Ballard (Seattle ) store from my Seattle Monorail account, but always gave me the Good Guy discount for my personal purchases.
And I was often asked to show them pictures of the progress on my locomotive.
Good store management. They WANT customers.
Strange...
~RN
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:07 pm I wouldn't use them to secure the seat to a toilet bowl, let alone in a critical application in which failure would be a catastrophe.

OH was complaining the seat would never stay in place; 6mm screws and shoddy hinges.
So I cut new ones from a chunk of SS rod, 12mm threads.

All is steady now.

Fasteners; Here in Europe we have similar specialty outlets with high prices. I usually buy from the big steel yard, they have decent quality very cheap.
I wanted a few 1/4" flat washers; I asked for 100, because I like to have stock.

"they come in a box of 500" the guy told me.
"I'll never use 500 in what's left of my life, I don't need 500!"
"The box is $2.50"
So now I have a lifetime supply of 1/4" flat washers.

The difficulty is when I need something less common. Then it's usually ebay.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

So I cut new ones from a chunk of SS rod, 12mm threads.
Wife buys one of those toilet seat 4" riser. Had to make special SS stud. I love my lathe!

That contraption, by the way, was replaced by ... I am ashamed to confess by a Sybarite luxury TOTO washlet.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Being retired means I now have to buy stuff. Our Fastenal sells only to businesses, so I have an account, Ray's Lapidary Machine Repair. My wife is a rockhound. I do work on her machines.The girls behind the counter have been nice, but 50 of one size does leave me with some stock. Just across the border in Bellingham is great hardware store, Hardware Sales, also Grizzly, too. I'm truly amazed at what they have. It's closer than Vancouver, and a much easier drive with my 1ton pickup. I just wish the border was like it was when I was young, a wave was all that was needed, now everyone is a Mexican terrorist smuggling drugs. It really slows down the crossing.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I use MCM a lot.
For standard bolts in grades 5 & 8 I go to Farm & Fleet and buy them by the pound.
For SHCS I often go to Fastenal. They sell sigle item or standard package quantities. Never had a problem with their local store.