Inspection Sheets: Worthless?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Inspection Sheets: Worthless?

Post by SteveM »

I have an inspection sheet for a Clausing 5900, with detail of each test (printed) and the results (hand written in pen).

It has the serial number written right on the inspection sheet. I think the inspection report is actually part of the owners manual.

On the other hand, the inspection sheet for my chicom surface plate says 0001 with no decimal, so I can't tell if it's 0.001 or .0001 (heck, I'm not sure it's not 0.001 feet).

Steve
Mr Ron

Re: Inspection Sheets: Worthless?

Post by Mr Ron »

The automotive industry inspects each and every car/truck that leaves the plant. Inspectors will pass known flaws as long as the flaw doesn't present a safety issue. The thinking is, pulling a car from the assembly line for repair, would disrupt the assembly line progress. Knowns flaws are expected to be picked up by issuing service bulletins to the dealers. I would expect the same procedure is followed by tool manufacturers under guarantees and warranties.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi