washer identification

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

curtis cutter

washer identification

Post by curtis cutter »

On my rebar cutter bender is a flat washer keyed to a flat on the through shaft/bolt. It is also designed to "fold over" the adjustable nut.

Does anyone know what the name of this washer is as I cannot find it?
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Frank Ford

Re: washer identification

Post by Frank Ford »

It's a "tab washer," of which there are many variants.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Frank Ford wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 am It's a "tab washer," of which there are many variants.
Thanks! I shall search that.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I just made one of those for the muller I'm rebuilding. In this case, it was made of 1/16" thick sheet steel. It's a square washer with a couple tabs on opposite ends that engage a fixed plate that's mounted on the bottom side of the washer. The plate stops the washer from spinning, and one of the corners of the square plate is bent upwards, against a flat on the hex nut that fastens the arm on which the wheels and plows are mounted to the powered shaft. Note that the corner has not yet been bent up to lock the nut.
Muller head assembly.JPG
Making the tab washer wasn't my first choice, but one does what he must when parts are no longer available.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Sometimes also called a "D" washer from the inside profile.
www.chaski.com