index head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Richard_W

index head

Post by Richard_W »

Have you guys noticed the price on the BS-0 index heads on ebay? They are selling for about $250.00 with free shipping. I just bought one for $247.31 with free shipping. I wonder if the price reduction has anything to do with the coming import tax increase?

Richard W.
Richard_W

Re: index head

Post by Richard_W »

Thought you might want a link to the one I bought. Can't wait for it to arrive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BS-0-Precision ... SwRQlbA~BZ
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I was pleasantly surprised to see it's a dividing head with a tailstock. If it's of any quality at all, that's a pretty good deal, Richard. Make sure to give us a report when it arrives.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Good deal Richard! Of course by the time I had it sent north it would loose it's "good deal" appeal LOL I can count on doubling the cost....
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I owned one that looked just like it before I moved that came from MSC. Only thing was back then they didn't come with a chuck. I would prefer a 5" chuck with bolt on tops like I had. At work they always had a big Cincinnati index head with a big chuck, which is great for a machine larger than a Bridgeport style. But these smaller copies of the Brown & Sharp with a 5" chuck are about the right size for a Bridgeport style mill. You can do smaller parts so much easier, because you can get closer to the part with the spindle.

Richard W.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

This is what they have been copying for a few decades. Only most of the accessories are missing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Brown- ... SwvSxayU1R

Richard W.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Looks like a good deal for the amateur hobbyist. I'll be looking forward to a review.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Could not resist and ordered one.
What is the threaded ring for?
The H shaped part goes with the Morse taper dead center?
What are the square ?nuts? for?
There is an index plate behind the chuck, I do not see when it come useful.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes, please let us know your review of this DH when you get it. I am particularly interested in their 5” chuck, as I bought a BS #0 from a grizzly a year ago and STILL don’t have a chuck for it. (Note: why would they sell something like that and not carry a chuck for it????)

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That index head set looks like a really good deal!
Even Chinese built it should work as advertised. Very adaptable.
Get one now before they are tariffed out of our price range.
~RN
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

tornitore45 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:08 pm Could not resist and ordered one.
What is the threaded ring for?
The H shaped part goes with the Morse taper dead center?
What are the square ?nuts? for?
There is an index plate behind the chuck, I do not see when it come useful.
The threaded ring is to protect the spindle threads when using the Brown and Sharp center. The square nuts are actually keys to line up in the table slots. Yes the H goes on the B&S taper and the tail of a lathe dog goes in the slot.

The index plate is used for rapid indexing by taking the crank out of gear. There is a lock pin that goes into holes in the index plate behind the chuck. The lock pin is operated by a lever near the top. Its been awhile since I used the one I had. About 25 years.

Richard W.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:11 pm Yes, please let us know your review of this DH when you get it. I am particularly interested in their 5” chuck, as I bought a BS #0 from a grizzly a year ago and STILL don’t have a chuck for it. (Note: why would they sell something like that and not carry a chuck for it????)

Glenn
I will change out the 5" chuck with this one later on. I really like the bolt on tops.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-5-3-Jaw- ... 1438.l2649

Richard W.