index head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: index head

Post by spro »

I would prefer to give a review about unwinding the chuck from the spindle. That hasn't happened yet, for good reason. The buyers should look and see how it is already mounted. Somebody already made tests before it went a thousand miles. Man I don't know about a relatively heavy chuck hanging on the spindle all that time. I tested the index wheel behind the chuck and that fit fine but this goes back to Ed's Vertex head.
The chuck was separate from the unit. Also, it appears that Vertex had a lot of brass and "tuned" up the ones then.
Those of us who finally bought these ones, will have a lot to say .
spro

Post by spro »

meltdown. so sorry... Back to these semi universal head units.. These are not new, in the sense that there are reviews about them in 2015 and 2017. They are all similar and some are better than others. It is up to us to test. Some fellow in Italy received one a year and half ago and the packaging was the same and manual was in English. Everyone is describing their use but few IN use. One vid shows one converted it to CNC by modifying the worm drive to be attached to a controller motor. It is the right size.
The fact is that these have dropped in price, to where many have bought them. It's like I had a Chevy instead of a MG. Everybody knew about and tuned them up. There will be tips and improvements and different ways, given time.
pete

Post by pete »

If you did want to take it apart for a proper cleaning and relube? There's at least 2 Youtube videos showing the disassembly and reassembly for the B & S heads these were copied from. It's not quite as straight forward as it seems. BasementShopGuy and Keith Rucker did the two videos about it that I know of.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

That's a good idea. I'll check them out. Thanks!
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
spro

Post by spro »

I was reluctant to do that because I wanted to try it out first. I want to see the tir from the spindle and chuck as arrived. I want to take measurements and note certain locations and positions. Certain bolts are intentionally loose due to shipping jostle. Mine is at 0 which is fair astounding but was packed really well. I would want to take off the chuck. By doing that, the spindle needs locking and that shifts things some thou. Does or does it not return. Oh yes I will dip into the innards. I haven't bought a New tool for a long time.
pete

Post by pete »

My personal opinion is it's probably a good idea to pull equipment like this apart for a detailed cleaning and relube. What I found on even Taiwan equipment is there's always a bit of dust,dirt, and maybe a bit of grinding dust since there built to a price point that doesn't leave any extra for the factory doing it. And what they use for lube is also a bit suspect for getting a nice smoothly operating piece of equipment as well. My Taiwan built mill was much nicer to use once that cleaning, adjustments and proper relube got done.
spro

Post by spro »

In due time. A revolution or two isn't going to hurt anything while testing. There must or should have been some test for concentricity.
BTW each comes with a decent manual and at back there is a #. This is supposed to be associated with that particular unit. I will offer mine.
719379 then a Chinese characters stamp which ends with 11. We are just talking here. Thousands have been sold. The guy in Italy may have the identical manual with one digit off. I don't know if, well the seller said they are precision. I need check it before disassembly because.
It may never go back the same way.
spro

Post by spro »

The other thing is that the chuck is mounted to the face plate by SHCS oh heck socket head screws. There is 1/8" clearance and no way outside of vise grips to remove the chuck from its plate BUT why do that? It was purposeful because it was already lined up to the plate. Fair game later but don't create a problem. For the sake of sanity, don't let the pin enter the plate while removing the chuck.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

So, it came apart full of grit like I expected.
Attachments
div-head-20180929_064951.jpg
div-head-chuck-20180929_071439.jpg
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Got the head all cleaned out, deburred, and back together. Only one snag. You might notice the rear spindle lock bracket inside the main body housing in my picture. There are three mounting screws to fasten it to the back end and there is enough play to make it difficult to get that piece lined up with the spindle axis without causing binding. Took a half dozen tries. The main bearing boss did not come out and there is not enough material inside to persuade it, so I left it alone. I need to work the spindle threads some as they are blood sharp.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks ctwo for opening up these pics to be helpful. Did you find the YY chuck to be gritty too? There were at least 3 different stamped ones.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

On ctwo report I opened and cleaned up mine. Found grit inside and had to deburr a few sharpies. The chuck was clean but bone dry and the scroll very tight fit which I suppose is a good thing.
A set screw bearing on a thread needed a brass pad.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX