WTF is wrong with shipping to Canada???!!!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DianneB

Re: WTF is wrong with shipping to Canada???!!!

Post by DianneB »

Looking at the American "export restrictions" (which I did) they seem to be set up to prevent the export of hi-tech, strategic, and military technology that could be used against the U.S. Fair enough but they "tarred with a broad brush" that included just about anything manufactured in the U.S.A.

No worries - I had my copper tube sent to a 'drop box' in North Dakota, which McMaster later said they wouldn't have done if they knew it was going to end up in Canada! I picked it up yesterday, had absolutely NO hassle at the border, and it is now in the shop. I also found out I could have purchased the same material in the U.K. with no hassle either so any further purchases will be from the U.K. where they don't suffer the same paranoia LOL!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Smuggling!
This is like the thin edge of a wedge, sending the wrong message to would be evil doers.
Today it's copper tube, tomorrow it will be 9 axis milling machines, cutting edge encryption, oil, and military secrets.

Just you wait until the northern border wall is up, then your evil ways will be no more!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

To Canada: Please accept our apologies.
How many other ways can the US create to waste money and aggravate Friends?
~RN
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Don't be so sure of buying from the UK, sure they will sell to you , no problem, but unless you can get them to mail it, you'll run into the brokerage problem $$ again.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I'm quite certain that exporting copper tube does not require an ITAR license.

It's possible that McMaster does sell stuff that would require a license and rather than go through their catalog and figure out which things can be exported and which can't they've taken the easy way out.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I get stuff from the UK all the time (to the USA). They send it DHL and it just ends up at my door.

Expensive???

Well..I priced it out... purchase it in the UK and hand carry it on an airplane and pay VAT or have them DHL it to me in the USA and avoid the VAT.

Know what??? Price difference was about $10 on a 24" piece of 5" OD Copper pipe (~$200)
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:06 am Smuggling! Today it's copper tube, tomorrow it will be 9 axis milling machines, cutting edge encryption, oil, and military secrets. Just you wait until the northern border wall is up, then your evil ways will be no more!
Oh PLEASE! I would love that wall. It would be nice to be able to keep the best of our minerals, lumber, and energy up here instead of sending it south! :wink:
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:36 pm I get stuff from the UK all the time (to the USA). They send it DHL and it just ends up at my door.
I have often purchased stuff from the U.K. Small stuff goes by mail and is often here in 3 days, quicker than mail from elsewhere in the country! Being part of the Commonwealth there is no hassle with customs, duty, etc.
pete

Post by pete »

Trying to build up and keep a home shop going here in the great white north is a whole lot more expensive than for those of you in the U.S. But some years ago I started a thread I think the HMEM? forum because I got curious after seeing some very high prices listed on the Hare & Forbes website in Australia. They really get the shaft. What I found was the average wages for the same job in Aus. were almost exactly equal for pay rates for the same job here after calculating the money exchange rates. They usualy pay roughly 50%-70% more for the exact same item than we do. My other guess is those "export restrictions" likely make it far tougher for them than the stuid little games were forced to play.

Since McMaster said they wouldn't have sold to you had they known it was going to end up here Dianne, then it seems that paranoia runs real deep. :-( I'm certainly not looking forward to seeing what the new tariffs bring. I'm beginning to think it may not then make any ecconomic sense to buy anymore tooling / shop supplies from the U.S.

Liveaboard, looks like you've almost figured out our secret and completely devious master plan of invading the U.S. Sending a massive fleet of scale steam locomotives built with smuggled McMaster parts across the border would have worked since there would be no defence against our ancient technology. :-)

And I'm sure John's right and McMaster is taking the easy route and just using a blanket policy of not shipping anything into Canada without a business account. In there position I'd probably do the same. That still doesn't make the facts taste any better though. And as Bill mentioned, sometimes if you use a sharp pencil and do some checking then some goods aren't all that bad from the U.K. When I bought my Vertex universal dividing head I first checked with every Canadian and U.S. tool dealer I could think of. RDG in the U.K. were still about $175 cheaper even with the $450 additional freight charge than anywhere I could find for the same thing without adding in any shipping costs. U.K. published books about machining are certainly far cheaper to order direct from Tee Publishing in the U.K. than what the prices on Ebay etc over here are.
Last edited by pete on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

When we were travelling in Aus, I asked about wages for tradesman, they were almost Canadian rates, Australian $ and Canadian $ are usually close to par. But a tent trailer in Aus was twice as much as in Canada. I was better quality, but not twice as good.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ah...but tent trailers in Oz don't have to be as well insulated as those in CA....giggle
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

Or as fire, mudslide, earth quake, tent trailer jacked proof either.

And I forgot non cancer causing. :-)